Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai with Nagi of Mekong

• ich40

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2007

Hi,
    has somebody done this trip? Do you know how reliable they are when it comes to timing? I want to leave Luang Prabang on a monday, arriving the day after in Houeisay. I was told they arrive their at 5pm. I have to go to Chiang Rai than because my flight will be same day at 9:30pm. Im a bit nervous about that..
    What do you think?

#1 Posted: 29/10/2007 - 19:32

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's very tight -- I'd be nervous!

Bus from Chiang Khong (the Thai town opposite Huay Xai) to Chaing Rai takes 2.5 to 3 hours. So, supposing you do get in at 5pm (unlikely, but possible), you'll have to clear immigration, boat across river, clear immigration again, tuk tuk to bus station (let's say that all takes 30 minutes), then a bus is leaving within 15 minutes of you getting to bus station and it takes you 3 hours. That has you into Chiang Rai at 8.45pm, then you've got to get out to the airport, check-in etc.

Perhaps push the flight back a day and overnight in either Chiang Rai or Chiang Khong.

#2 Posted: 30/10/2007 - 09:15

• ich40

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2007

Tanks for your answer. I was told the bus/taxi takes only 20 min. to Chiang Rai..so i better drop this idea than. cant stay in Chiang Rai cause my flight back leaves wed., 3o┬┤clock in the morning back home. Thanks anyway..

#3 Posted: 30/10/2007 - 20:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

20 minutes from downtown Chiang Rai to the airport is about right, but from Chiang Khong to Chiang Rai is at least two to three hours.

There's always the speedboat...

#4 Posted: 31/10/2007 - 09:47

• andreahkg

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Ich40
    I have not done the boat trip in that direction but based on my experience from Huay Xai to LP the timing was definitely off...by a few hours. And you are going upstream from LP so it will be longer. And my understanding is the border crossing closes at 5pm so it is likely you would have to stay on the Laos side until morning. I do think it is risky for a flight that night...good luck..

#5 Posted: 9/11/2007 - 22:20

• scott0604

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2009

I understand there are a couple of boat options into Luangprabang, slow boat and speed boat? Does anyone know how much speed boat cost, and projected travel time? Thanks

#6 Posted: 27/6/2009 - 11:22

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

scott0604

Go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/transport/laos/northern_laos/luang_prabang/luang_prabang/all

scroll down to boat.

Personally, I'd suggest the fast boat on the mekong is a lottery ticket with death.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 27/6/2009 - 11:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Hey Bruce, did you get my comments on your travelblog? I love that zipline!!! Very cool.

#8 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 19:03

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John

Looks like you'll have to go alone.

Alternatively, to 'experience' a zipline, there are 'Gibbon' copies at Chiang Mai and Chonburi. Maybe your wife would to those parks and you could go ziplining.

Goto: http://www.treetopasia.com/

Cheers

#9 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 06:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Thanks Bruce. My wife would definitely go to Chaing Mai. She's mentioned it once before already.

She is ethnic Laos, but man, she does not like the place even a little.

#10 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 17:09

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John

Am I sort of hearing you your wife is is ethnically Lao, but aspirationally western?

Cheers

#11 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 19:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Am I sort of hearing you your wife is is ethnically Lao, but aspirationally western?"

She lived in Germany for 12 years. In her view, western civilization is superior. She makes no bones about it. She has reluctantly accepted returning to Thailand because it makes financial sense, but if money were not an issue, we would be living in Germany right now. My wife has very little tolerance for:

Bad Sidewalks.
    Unreliable water or power.
    Lying (which unfortunately Thais and Laos do a lot)
    Government incompetence and corruption (say what you want about the Germans, but their bureaucrats are nothing if not efficient).

She also laments the fact that Thais are so ignorant of the world outside, which she was fortunate to experience but most Thais do not.

She hates the fact that the only food we can get here is Asian food - she loves German and Italian and Greek and that's just not happening here.

She's bascially a westernized Isaan woman. And where I might actually share some of her views on occassion, I temper them with "this isn't my country, and the people here can make their own cultural choices." My wife doesn't have that sort of break. So she has not problem is saying to Thai people "You people are just so backward."

#12 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 16:54

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John

I get the feeling that many of the global travellers who do their own travel (as against those that are pax on some resort holiday) find many of their own nations' brethren in need of 'education'.

To me, so many Australians are ignorant, bigoted, and arrogant.

I dare say that if you spent much time in your US, you'd also find negative attributes to describe them.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 09:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I dare say that if you spent much time in your US, you'd also find negative attributes to describe them."

Absolutely. I find that even when I go home for relatively short amounts of time. It's not their fault of course. Many people (like my Uncle) are disinclined to travel. In their view, why should they go somewhere else and spend all the money it costs to do so when they are perfectly content to stay where they are.

Others simply have no excess cash for serious travel - big families to take care of and so forth.

In 2005 I went home and pulled into the full service gas station about a mile from my house. A guy walks up to the car and asks me "Fill er up sir?" It was a friend of mine from high school. He had been working at that gas station when I left for University in 1980, and he was still there 25 years latter (manager now). The furthest he had ever travelled was Maine (I grew up in Boston). I was stunned. He thought I was strange for every leaving.

I don't consider myself superior because I have lived all over the world, but I do recognize that it has given me a different perspective on life and it makes it hard to go home and be satisfied with the limitations there. The limitations here are of a different flavor and still relatively new for me. But, of course, not for my wife. It's easier for her to be more jaundice in outlook than I am about this region. For her to live here is like for me to live back in Boston only worse for Boston is far more cosmopolitan.

#14 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 11:30

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John

I chuckled when I read that your wife considers her local brethren as "just so backward".

Upon reflection, that's one of the reasons that ppl go to SEA!!!

hehehehe

Cheers

[:)]

#15 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 14:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Upon reflection, that's one of the reasons that ppl go to SEA!!!"

Not me. I don't much like nature and I like modern convieniences. BUT, I recognize that some of the lack of modernity is also tied to the reasons why the cost of living is low - and I do like living fat, which I am. I get three massages a week, play a lot of chess, go box and teach dance. I have a very hedonistic lifestyle - which I like after three decades of little hedonism.

#16 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 19:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Nagi of Mekong to Luang Prabang ... By jBird on 11 Jan 2009 92 23694 7 Jul 2012
Is Nagi of Mekong still in business? ... By terryMac on 17 Dec 2008 1 2622 17 Dec 2008
Nagi of Mekong 2011 Trip Report ... By Captain_Courageous on 29 Sep 2011 3 4904 17 Mar 2013
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9266 19 Aug 2011
from Saigon to Luang Prabang along the Mekong ... By gecko on 6 May 2007 1 2965 7 May 2007
From Thailand to Luang Prabang through the Mekong river...but where to start? ... By vickyaj on 14 May 2012 5 3047 16 May 2012
Slow boat down the Mekong - HoueiSay to Luang Prabang ... By mangie on 15 Nov 2006 10 7940 6 Feb 2014
Mekong River View Hotel, Luang prabang ... By mekongriverview on 11 Jan 2013 0 903 11 Jan 2013
Hanoi --> Vientane --> Luang Prabang --> Chiang Rai --> Chiang Mai ... By sophierose87 on 11 Jun 2010 2 4448 18 Jun 2010
Chiang Mai>Chiang Rai>Luang Prabang>Vientiene ... By mukapecah8 on 2 Sep 2009 9 9136 4 Sep 2009