Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Asking for passport details before travel for tourist police??

• chinhead

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2007

Hi

I have booked a 3 day stay at the Elephant lodge in Luang Prabang, they have emailed us asking for our passport details for the tourist police?? Is this the norm, sorry to ask but I have no idea if i should give it or not!? Hope you can help

Thanks in advance

Neill

#1 Posted: 1/11/2007 - 18:43

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi neill,

it is standard for hotels in the region to collect your passport information to provide to the tourist police. i remember a few times in less-travelled areas of thailand where they even insisted on holding my passport overnight.

i have a faint recollection of a few hotels and travel agents requesting this information ahead of time as well. i know that one place i stayed in cambodia definitely did, for exactly this same reason.

the short answer is that this isn't particularly unusual, and that the lodge is just following the instructions they've been given by the tourist police. don't worry. cheers.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2007 - 21:19

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Yes, you must supply your passport details by law in Laos (and most other SEA countries). Usually this is done at registration, but I see nothing particularly unusual about doing it before you arrive. You should of course be discrete in supplying your details, but remember it is a requirement to give them to hotels and guest houses where you stay.

#3 Posted: 3/11/2007 - 13:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tourist police - Danang ... By stiginge on 25 Dec 2008 6 3014 26 Feb 2009