Flag of Laos

Laos forum

March Air Travel in Laos

• ozscott

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2007

Hi TT'ers,

I'll be in Laos next March for 2.5 weeks. I have been trying to organise an Laos Discovery Air Pass with much difficulty.
    All the flights I want to do are with Laos Airlines (Hanoi - Luang Prabang - Vientiane - Pakse - Siem Reap).
    Bangkok Airways and Siem Reap Airways don't want to know me!
    I have tried to contact Laos Airlines (both in Laos and regional offices) on numerous occassions by email with no response, and local travel agents (regional NSW) are clueless about terms, conditions, costs and booking requirements (so I don't really trust them to get it right or charge me fairly)...

So, given I'll be in Laos at the end of their high season, do I even need to book my flights?

Should I just fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang, go and see a Laos Airlines office and book my additional ongoing flights whilst in country?

Will I be able to get seats on short notice during March from a Laos Airlines office at Luang Prabang?

Once again, many thanks in advance for all replies - appreciated!!!

OzScott

#1 Posted: 2/11/2007 - 17:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Main advantage of doing this on a Discovery Airpass is it's considerably cheaper that way. However you can't buy it once you're in-country so you need to sort it out beforehand. From memory there's a list of international agents buried somewhere on the Bangkok Airways site, so perhaps look for a Sydney contact and give them a call.

Regarding the need to book, March won't be all that busy, and as long as you're a bit flexible with your dates, then it should be ok, but it will cost more.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2007 - 10:49

• ozscott

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2007

Hi mahout,

Thanks for your response...

Bangkok Airways don't want to know me as no flight is with Bangkok Airways. They suggested I add a Bangkok Airways flight to my intinary - then they could book - but I'm not going to any of their destinations.

Similarily, Siem Reap Airlines also declined to book the flights for the same reason.

Any other thoughts on pre-arranging these Laos Airlines flights prior to departure, other than a local travel agent?

Thanks,
    OzScott

#3 Posted: 3/11/2007 - 13:12

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

There is a Laos Airline office in Melbourne. Why don't you try that?

#4 Posted: 4/11/2007 - 06:05

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

There is a Laos Airline office in Melbourne. Why don't you try that?

#5 Posted: 4/11/2007 - 06:10

• williamsecc-
    ombe

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi, you can fly on Vietnam airlines from Hanoi to Luang Prabang (direct each week day). Your suggestion to go to local airline office there is a good bet. Was there in April and had no problem at all booking at short notice for Luang Prabang to Vientiane and Pakse. One tip, because of the weather, Lao Airlines are known to take the gap on occasion and leave up to an hour early!

#6 Posted: 5/11/2007 - 16:08

• williamsecc-
    ombe

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi, you can fly on Vietnam airlines from Hanoi to Luang Prabang (direct each week day). Your suggestion to go to local airline office there is a good bet. Was there in April and had no problem at all booking at short notice for Luang Prabang to Vientiane and Pakse. One tip, because of the weather, Lao Airlines are known to take the gap on occasion and leave up to an hour early!

#7 Posted: 5/11/2007 - 16:10

• jesseroth

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2007

Are there direct flights from Hanoi to Pakse? If not, what's the fastest way to get there, and how many days should I allow?

#8 Posted: 28/11/2007 - 04:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.