Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Up Nam Ou River from LP

• realalaskan

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2007

Flew into Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai last year. Didn't get to spend enough time. Going back in January. Looking for information on traveling upstream from LP to Hat Sa on the Nam Ou River. Road connection to Phongsali and back to LP. Have any of you done this loop? I understand it takes about a week. Feedback?

#1 Posted: 12/11/2007 - 08:10

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I’ve only done the Muang Khua to Hat Sa portion of the river and then the road. I’d use the search function on the Thorn Tree lonely planet, the river has been discussed often.

In general the river gets traffic up until the backpacker town of Ngoi Nua, then things thin out. People say the portion of the river between Ngoi Nua and Muang Khua is one of the prettiest in Laos. Parts of the river where there isn’t much traffic because it’s cheaper and faster by road, you might have to hire a boat yourself, and being on a six day schedule is a horrible way to start looking to hire a boat. Much better to have the option of just hanging out an extra day to see what happens.

I liked Muang Khua. A lot. Many find it less than interesting. If you are pressed for time at the end there is a direct bus Phongsali to Vientiane, probably slightly more than 24 hrs.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2007 - 09:33

• realalaskan

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2007

Thanks, Somsai. Your input is helpful and appreciated. Further research has led me to much of the info you reference. Our schedule is very fluid so am not locked into any set time to be anywhere, other than visa requirements. The search continues. Once we get to LP we will have to decide where to go from there.

#3 Posted: 17/11/2007 - 01:39

• deuxbecs

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

You don't have to take a fast/slow boat! You can also experience the very slow boat, and row all the way down the Nam Ou from Phongsali to Luang Prabang! Here are a few lines about my adventure : http://deuxbecs.uniterre.com/68552/1.+Corsaires+du+Nam+OU.html

#4 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 00:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.