Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

12 days in Laos

Posted by Aishas on 12/11/2007 at 17:50

Hi every body!

I'm new here around and I had a look to some posts on travelling through Laos, since I'm planning my journey there.
It would be in Feb 2008, more or less 12 days.

So, there are so many things I'd like to be given advice on.
1) Is february a festival time, apart from the chinese New Year? are accomodations fully booked that time?
2) Any suggestion about Champasak? is it worthy? my idea should be to fly in to Pakse (lonely planet says it's an international airport, but I haven't checked yet with my italian travel agency) explore champasak and then fly to Vientiane.
3) the rest of my itinery would be:
Vientiane - Plan of jars (it it safe by bus? what about bus attack?)
Jars - Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang - thai border (with slow boat)

I'm going to travel alone, as I usually do, so any kind of advice would be pretty welcome, so as to save time and fully enjoy the country!

big hugs, rita

#1 Aishas has been a member since 12/11/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/11/2007 at 18:32 admin

Welcome to Travelfish Rita,

1) You should have no problems getting accommodation in February.
2) I like Champasak a lot. The ruins are excellent and it is a very relaxing village with some other interesting sights nearby. Pakse has an international airport, but only international flights to Bangkok and Siem Reap -- Alitalia is yet to launch their Rome - Pakse service ;-)

3) Safe trip -- there hasn't been an attack on that route in a long time... but if you're concerned you can also fly it with Lao Airlines.

Enjoy!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Aishas on 13/11/2007 at 18:48

thank you so much for your reply!

really helpful; well, about Alitalia...funny joke!

I usually prefere not to use Alitalia (sort of boycott...), since I'm very disgusted to see how much money (our money, public financement!!) they've been wasting over a so long time!

see u around
rita

#3 Aishas has been a member since 12/11/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by Rufus on 14/11/2007 at 05:51

Rita, Laos is perfectly safe. I drive my car around here a lot and have never had any problems. Having said this, I would fly from Vientiane to Plain of Jars; it is a half hour flight and you can actually get some very good accommodation deals with Lao air.
Pakse is definitely worth seeing; the old wats and the waterfalls make for a fascinating stoppover. As the admin's post states, you can only fly internationally to Bkk and Cambodia from Pakse. Your best bet is to make Vientiane your starting point.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by exacto on 14/11/2007 at 11:07

Hey Aisha,

Good advice from Rufus on flying to the Plain of Jars. That's particularly true on flights from Vientiane, where you are likely to be on an ATR aircraft rather than the Y-12 from Luang Prabang. Plus, the views from the air will take your breath away.

For more info, see the articles in the features section on The Phonsavan Adventure and Are Lao Airways Safe to Fly. Have a great trip. Cheers.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,626
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Aishas on 14/11/2007 at 16:26

thank you guys!!

I will definetely check the flight option to the Plain of Jars, sounds good!

the connection between BKK and Laos is perfect to me, since BKK is a pretty well served hub from Europe and besides.....I'd like to spend a relaxing week on a Thai beach after the Laos tour!!

one more time, thank you!
have a good day, rita

#6 Aishas has been a member since 12/11/2007. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.