Flag of Laos

Laos forum

12 days in Laos

• Aishas

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2007

Hi every body!

I'm new here around and I had a look to some posts on travelling through Laos, since I'm planning my journey there.
    It would be in Feb 2008, more or less 12 days.

So, there are so many things I'd like to be given advice on.
    1) Is february a festival time, apart from the chinese New Year? are accomodations fully booked that time?
    2) Any suggestion about Champasak? is it worthy? my idea should be to fly in to Pakse (lonely planet says it's an international airport, but I haven't checked yet with my italian travel agency) explore champasak and then fly to Vientiane.
    3) the rest of my itinery would be:
    Vientiane - Plan of jars (it it safe by bus? what about bus attack?)
    Jars - Luang Prabang
    Luang Prabang - thai border (with slow boat)

I'm going to travel alone, as I usually do, so any kind of advice would be pretty welcome, so as to save time and fully enjoy the country!

big hugs, rita

#1 Posted: 12/11/2007 - 17:50

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish Rita,

1) You should have no problems getting accommodation in February.
    2) I like Champasak a lot. The ruins are excellent and it is a very relaxing village with some other interesting sights nearby. Pakse has an international airport, but only international flights to Bangkok and Siem Reap -- Alitalia is yet to launch their Rome - Pakse service ;-)

3) Safe trip -- there hasn't been an attack on that route in a long time... but if you're concerned you can also fly it with Lao Airlines.

Enjoy!

#2 Posted: 12/11/2007 - 18:32

• Aishas

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2007

thank you so much for your reply!

really helpful; well, about Alitalia...funny joke!

I usually prefere not to use Alitalia (sort of boycott...), since I'm very disgusted to see how much money (our money, public financement!!) they've been wasting over a so long time!

see u around
    rita

#3 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 18:48

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Rita, Laos is perfectly safe. I drive my car around here a lot and have never had any problems. Having said this, I would fly from Vientiane to Plain of Jars; it is a half hour flight and you can actually get some very good accommodation deals with Lao air.
    Pakse is definitely worth seeing; the old wats and the waterfalls make for a fascinating stoppover. As the admin's post states, you can only fly internationally to Bkk and Cambodia from Pakse. Your best bet is to make Vientiane your starting point.

#4 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 05:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Aisha,

Good advice from Rufus on flying to the Plain of Jars. That's particularly true on flights from Vientiane, where you are likely to be on an ATR aircraft rather than the Y-12 from Luang Prabang. Plus, the views from the air will take your breath away.

For more info, see the articles in the features section on The Phonsavan Adventure and Are Lao Airways Safe to Fly. Have a great trip. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 11:07

• Aishas

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2007

thank you guys!!

I will definetely check the flight option to the Plain of Jars, sounds good!

the connection between BKK and Laos is perfect to me, since BKK is a pretty well served hub from Europe and besides.....I'd like to spend a relaxing week on a Thai beach after the Laos tour!!

one more time, thank you!
    have a good day, rita

#6 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 16:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.