Flag of Laos

Laos forum

from chiang mai to luang prabang by boat

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

hi, after my long long search on the internet, i finally found a site where you can book the boattrip from chiang mai thailand to luang prabang in laos...what do you think of this company, do you think that's a good price and reliable?

http://www.travelhubchiangmai.com/laos_detail.asp?id=2

thank you for your help

#1 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 05:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The boat trip is from Chiang Khong -- a good 5-6 hours by bus from Chiang Mai.

There's been posts in the past from people who organised this trip in advance (not necessarily through the company you mention) and were unhappy with it. Mainly because the accommodation didn't live up to expectations.

Many don't bother to book this in advance as the boats leave every morning and as long as you cross the border early you should have few problems -- especially if doing it by speedboat.

#2 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 06:06

• andreahkg

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Annu75,
    I flew into Chiang Mai and booked the slow boat with an agent that same afternoon (1400thb) and we left Chiang Mai at around 9:30 that same night.
    5 hr VIP van ride to Chiang Khong dumps you off at some guesthouse in the middle of the night. Accommodations are not good but it was only 50THB/person inc. breakfast and it is the middle of the night so you don't have many options. A nice, clean silk sleep sack would have been a good thing to have that night.You depart the guesthouse around 8:30am and go to thru passport control and board a river taxi that takes you across the river to the Laos side where you go thru immigration and wait until 12:30 to actually leave on the slow boat...suggest you get on the boat early to find your perfect seat. You should buy sandwiches, beer because there may or may not be Lao food available on the boat. By the way it is quite uncomfortable with wooden benches so you will want a cushion. You will arrive Pakbeng just as it is getting dark. Pakbeng guesthouses only have electricity from 6-10pm so bring a torch...no hot water anywhere. Day two on the slow boat was a more uncomfortable boat than day one and it is a 9 hour day as this boat is also a sort of taxi for locals, stopping along the way. The fast boat would cut your time but I talked to people who did it and they said it was frightening and also uncomfortable as you are cramped with no room to move your legs. But when you arrive at Luang Prabang you are happily greeted by plentiful guesthouses, Lao massage, good restaurants and bakeries, a suprisingly good wine bar (next to the Pizza restaurant) and french wine is less expensive in Lao than Thailand.
    Bottom line you don't have to book your river cruise ahead of time unless you want the higher end Luangsay Cruise that is definitely more comfortable but 250USD.
    Enjoy your time in Lao...

#3 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 13:54

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

andreahkg, thank you so much for you detailed info on the trip,

yesterday i think i finally found a good website with 3day/2night trip that's their webiste...www.trekkingcollective.com

i wanted to book in advance because we will be traveling in the high season and i am afraid to land a scam or get a high price in chiang mai, or get a shitty trip...

has anyone ever used the trekingcollective?

#4 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 23:50

• LaJoie

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

Hey guys --

This is all super interesting - thanks for the thoughts. I'm in a bit of an urgent situation, and would greatly appreciate some quick advice. I need to get from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai (opposite of the above), and would prefer to take the slow boat. However, I'm nervous about safety if the boat doesn't get from Pakbeng to the border in time on the second day. As a single female, I would hate to get stuck suddenly en route.

Has anyone done this trip from Laos to Thailand, and if so, could you kindly offer the details of your trip (how much, where you bought the ticket, troubles) along with any advice on making it as painless as possible?

Thanks!

#5 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 18:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

No need to book this boat trip in advance. Buy your ticket the same morning at the ticket window at the top of the boat ramp in town.

See prices here (100,000 kip to Pakbeng, same again to Huay Xai)

However, with a slow boat going upstream don't count on making Huay Xai before the border closes at 6pm. Other option, take slow boat to Pakbeng then speed boat to Huay Xai the 2nd day.

#6 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 21:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Booking a bus and slow boat from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang from Ch.M - any suggestions? ... By MissBanana on 11 Feb 2013 7 7829 12 Mar 2013
Travelling Chiang Kong to Luang Prabang by long boat - Advice please!! ... By cellabella on 23 Feb 2007 5 2815 24 Feb 2007
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9523 19 Aug 2011
Boat to Luang Prabang ... By odessafile on 10 Sep 2008 2 3357 13 Sep 2008
Boat from Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By grak88 on 28 Feb 2012 2 3782 1 Mar 2012
THAILAND TO LUANG PRABANG BY BOAT ... By JAYDIN on 30 May 2011 2 3625 14 Jun 2011
thailand to luang prabang by boat ... By JAYDIN on 30 May 2011 2 3259 1 Jun 2011
The 1 Day Boat - Thailand to Luang Prabang ... By JakiDL on 16 Nov 2006 42 40758 11 Jul 2009
Slow boat Vientiane to Pak Lai then Luang Prabang ... By mandyoz on 2 Nov 2010 4 4198 26 Feb 2014
Pakbeng to luang prabang , The slow boat:? ... By chicho83 on 9 Feb 2009 2 6154 22 Feb 2009