Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Transport - Vientiane / Vang Vieng / Luang Prabang

• ruthmoore

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2007

I am seeking safe and reputable transport options travelling 29 Dec 2007 Vientiane /Vang Vieng and overnight x 1 night in VV and 30 Dec 2007 VV to Luang Prabang. I have heard there are buses or happy to share cost of hiring private car / driver. Welcome advice.

#1 Posted: 18/11/2007 - 13:23

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

There is regular bus service from Vientiane to Vang Vieng and then onward to Luang Prabang. Check with your guest house or any travel agent once you arrive in Vientiane for options, departure times and prices.

If you wind up taking the bus, I'd recommend taking the VIP bus, particularly for the Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang portion of the trip.

#2 Posted: 18/11/2007 - 20:36

• dmondaye

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Appreciate that this is being posted waaaaaaaaaaaaay after the original post but I found that the slower, local blue bus from LP to VV far more of an adventure and half the cost - stopping at loads of lovely villages along the way. Much more comfortable and safer too as the VIP bus drivers go at suicidal speeds around those blind corners just to deliver you green with motion sickness 2 hours earlier than the local bus.

Just get a tuktuk to the bus station for a few kip and grab some brekkie from there as the food stalls are pretty reasonable and enjoy the trip!

#3 Posted: 1/5/2008 - 22:29

• EdSue

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 8

We plan to travel from Vientiane to Luang Prabang by bus in Feb 2011 but we are not sure whether this is worth it. We understand it is a long journey - quite prepared for this - but have read that it is probably best to take the night bus. This seems to rather defeat the object if you don't get to see the country at the same time and we might as well splash out and fly the route. What are the roads like? This is a question from someone with vertigo so I feel I might be closing my eyes a lot anyway?? Any recent travellers advise?

#4 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 21:14

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'll bet you bus fare that some of the regular contributors like Somtam and Rufus will recommend flying over the bus, particularly if you don't plan to stopover in Vang Vieng along the way. The first bit from Vientiane to V.V. is relatively flat, but after that you'll definitely be going through twisty-turny roads in the mountains. Just how bad is that vertigo?

Here's my trip report too on taking a long-distance bus from Savannakhet to Pakse in southern Laos. It isn't exactly the same, but might sum up what you can look forward to: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/tripreports/10314_trip-report--the-bus-to-pakse

Personally, I very much enjoyed the bus trip I took in 2006 from Luang Prabang to Vientiane, but it was quite a bit of work too. Flying isn't exactly charmless either, as the views from up there are spectacular. Let us know what you decide and how it turned out. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 00:08

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Exacto is right. I have done the bus trip and I have driven the route, but I seriously prefer to fly. As Exacto says, Vte to VV is fine, but from there on it is very windy. A lot of people get sick on the bus. You can see a fair bit on the flight.
    If you do decide to take the bus, go by day as you are correct. The evening bus totally defeats the purpose.

#6 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 10:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Prabang to Vientiane- The truth about Vang Vieng ... By misstahlia on 7 Jun 2013 9 4864 10 Jun 2013
Landslide Delaying Bus Travel Vientiane/Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang ... By wanderingcat on 23 Aug 2011 3 3118 5 Sep 2011
Transport from Vientiane to Vang Vieng - Options? ... By jleetravel on 1 Dec 2010 4 9703 24 Dec 2010
Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng ... By NEILEIO on 29 Aug 2008 2 5131 1 Sep 2008
Place between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang ... By Lars on 11 Oct 2007 5 5013 17 Oct 2007
Night Bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang ... By aik_yong2002 on 16 Jul 2012 3 4519 23 Jul 2012
Hire a driver luang prabang to vang vieng ... By 21days on 17 Dec 2009 0 4746 17 Dec 2009
Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire ... By dclayw on 23 Jul 2009 7 6390 24 Jul 2009
Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng with 2 kids - need advice ... By alainj on 2 Jul 2010 1 4489 2 Jul 2010
Hanoi to Vientiane via Luang Prabang and Vang Veing ... By southafrican on 31 Oct 2008 0 2826 31 Oct 2008