Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Travel North to South

Posted by ozscott on 19/11/2007 at 05:57

Hi TF'ers...

Below is my itinerary for Laos next March (also doing Vietnam & Cambodia).
I am flying Laos internally (Hanoi - Luang Prabang - Vientianne - Pakse - Siem Reap).

I know I'm on the tourist trail - but whats the itinerary look like?

Day 1 Fly Hanoi / Luang Prabang
Day 2-6 Luang Prabang
Day 7 Fly Luang Prabang / Vientane
Day 8-10 Vientiane
Day 11 Fly Vientiane / Pakse
Day 12 Pakse
Day 13 Pakse / Don Khong (bus ride)
Day 14-16 Don Khong
Day 17 Don Khong / Pakse (bus ride)
Day 18 Fly Paske / Siem Reap

Your comments and ideas are appreciated!
Thanks OzScott

#1 ozscott has been a member since 21/1/2007. Posts: 18

Posted by exacto on 19/11/2007 at 06:12

Hey OzScott,

That looks like a great trip and your itinerary looks quite reasonable. If you haven't yet, you might want to look into the Bangkok Airways air pass as a way to save a bit of money on your trip. Although from what I've heard, they are a bit more reluctant to sell the pass if all the flights, like yours will be, are on Lao Airways.

Also, I'm sure you've already worked this out, but the last time I checked not all of those routes, particularly the flights to/from Pakse, were not running every day. Are they flying every day or at least on the days you wish to travel?

Finally, will you be doing visa on arrival in Laos and Cambodia or organising them ahead of time? Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,632
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by ozscott on 19/11/2007 at 06:44

Hi Exacto...

Thanks for your response.

Bangkok Airways will do the AirPass for this schedule - only if I include a Bangkok Airways leg - so I'd need to schedule a Siem Reap-Bangkok fare into the equation (not that I'd use it as I actually need to go Siem Reap-Ho Chi Minh). Even so, prices may still work out cheaper than with a travel agent?

You are also correct - not all flights are available all days, and Laos airlines website if somewhat hit'n'miss - and local travel agents can't seem to get any better info that I can - go figure (love the Internet!).

As for visa's - Laos will be upon arrival, Cambodia via a e-Visa online, and vietnam via the usual embassy approach.

What do you think about $$$ in Laos - should I get spending Kip only at Luang Prabang, and then cash up at vientianne for the southern end of this journey as I beleive ATM's are only available in LPQ and VTE.

Thanks for your advice..
OzScott

#3 ozscott has been a member since 21/1/2007. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.