Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Travel North to South

• ozscott

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2007

Hi TF'ers...

Below is my itinerary for Laos next March (also doing Vietnam & Cambodia).
    I am flying Laos internally (Hanoi - Luang Prabang - Vientianne - Pakse - Siem Reap).

I know I'm on the tourist trail - but whats the itinerary look like?

Day 1 Fly Hanoi / Luang Prabang
    Day 2-6 Luang Prabang
    Day 7 Fly Luang Prabang / Vientane
    Day 8-10 Vientiane
    Day 11 Fly Vientiane / Pakse
    Day 12 Pakse
    Day 13 Pakse / Don Khong (bus ride)
    Day 14-16 Don Khong
    Day 17 Don Khong / Pakse (bus ride)
    Day 18 Fly Paske / Siem Reap

Your comments and ideas are appreciated!
    Thanks OzScott

#1 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 05:57

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey OzScott,

That looks like a great trip and your itinerary looks quite reasonable. If you haven't yet, you might want to look into the Bangkok Airways air pass as a way to save a bit of money on your trip. Although from what I've heard, they are a bit more reluctant to sell the pass if all the flights, like yours will be, are on Lao Airways.

Also, I'm sure you've already worked this out, but the last time I checked not all of those routes, particularly the flights to/from Pakse, were not running every day. Are they flying every day or at least on the days you wish to travel?

Finally, will you be doing visa on arrival in Laos and Cambodia or organising them ahead of time? Cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 06:12

• ozscott

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2007

Hi Exacto...

Thanks for your response.

Bangkok Airways will do the AirPass for this schedule - only if I include a Bangkok Airways leg - so I'd need to schedule a Siem Reap-Bangkok fare into the equation (not that I'd use it as I actually need to go Siem Reap-Ho Chi Minh). Even so, prices may still work out cheaper than with a travel agent?

You are also correct - not all flights are available all days, and Laos airlines website if somewhat hit'n'miss - and local travel agents can't seem to get any better info that I can - go figure (love the Internet!).

As for visa's - Laos will be upon arrival, Cambodia via a e-Visa online, and vietnam via the usual embassy approach.

What do you think about $$$ in Laos - should I get spending Kip only at Luang Prabang, and then cash up at vientianne for the southern end of this journey as I beleive ATM's are only available in LPQ and VTE.

Thanks for your advice..
    OzScott

#3 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 06:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
North to south travel help ... By Gordon_M on 12 Jul 2006 1 2646 12 Jul 2006
Travel South to North ... By ozscott on 19 Nov 2007 0 1931 19 Nov 2007
Travel South to North ... By ozscott on 19 Nov 2007 1 1979 20 Nov 2007
travel buddy vietnam dec 11 to 30th south to north ... By shminchik on 5 Dec 2009 0 2677 5 Dec 2009