Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Route 28

• AirCommando

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

Headed east across Route 12 from Thakhet then south on Route 28 till it joins Route 9. Know Route 9 is
    a new paved road, but cannot locate any info on the status of Route 28. Van ok?

Route 12 goes through the mountains across the Mekong from Nakhon Phanom. Being an old geezer I spent quite a few nights at Monty's Ice Cream Parlor on the Thai side watching the bomb drops across the river.

Today I work to help the kids in the schools around Nakhon Phanom and in Laos and travel at my own expense as does every member of our organization; the Thailand Laos Cambodia Brotherhood primarily composed of men who served in those countries during the war.
    I'm headed back again with my wife and another friend who was also at NKP during the war to work on some of our projects and see areas in southern Laos well known from the air. Been back quite a bit to NKP and northern Laos, but no on the ground southern Laos experience in Savannahket and Thakhet provences. Check this for info if your interested: http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/thare.html
    There are about 500 of us in our nonprofit charity mostly former American military men. If you want to
    learn of the former classified American presence at Nakhon Phanom http://aircommandoman.tripod.com/

Thanks to any and all for info and I enjoy this travel board.

#1 Posted: 20/11/2007 - 06:05

• Advertisement

• AirCommando

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

Guess no one in Travelfish knows anything about Route 28 so I will have to post a message about it when I get back.

Cheers

AirCommando

#2 Posted: 30/11/2007 - 02:39

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I don't know anything about the roads in Southern Laos but I found your website very interesting and added it to favorites. You might try searching through Golden Triangle Riders, or GTRiders, they usually have good road information about Laos.

Have fun

#3 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 01:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, missed this questions somehow. AFAIK Route 28, passing through Nakai, is mostly dirt but in reasonable condition -- this is a key leg on the Tha Khaek Loop that lots of backpackers do by motorbike. Van should be ok, just a bit bumpy.

Sorry for late reply!

#4 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 14:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.