Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Recommended accommodation in Vientiane?

• kelpeta

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007

Can anyone recommend a nice, clean, preferably lower budget place to stay in Vientiane?? Looked at the travelfish suggestions, but not many have reviews...

Is vientiane more of a 'stop-over' place or is it worth a couple of days visiting?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 21/11/2007 - 00:31

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

It's been years since I've stayed in a GH there, but lots of people say that place called Joe's is good.

As for how worthy it is of a good look, it all depends. For typical tourist stuff most find it kind of lacking, for that matter the same could be said for all of Laos. After all just how many beers can you drink while watching the mekong flow by.

I like Vientiane. It's undeniable a Laotian town. Big enough to get away from the tourist scene and see everyday life. Traffic isn't bad, lots of good food, airport and bus stations easy to get to. As in a lot of places the better you are at thinking up your own entertainment and the better you are at joining in the everyday life, the more you will get out of it.

Check out the big local markets.

#2 Posted: 21/11/2007 - 02:07

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Kelpeta,

I've always thought that accommodation in Vientiane was expensive for what you get. This might be a good place to spend a little extra for the night, since those few extra dollars usually buy quite a bit of upgrade for the money.

One place I'd recommend is the Mali Namplu. It is listed in Travelfish and has received heaps of well-deserved positive reviews.

As for Vientiane as a tourist destination, we stayed in Vientiane for two nights, which was just about the right amount of time to see the sights and explore the city a bit. We hired a scooter to get out to That Luang, Pratuxai, and then to just drive around a bit. Other highlights are Wat Phra Kaeo (the original one according to the Lao), and walking or riding northwest (towards the airport) along the riverside and having a beer or a meal at any of the bamboo restaurants up that way. I think my favorite thing was Sunday evening up at Pratuxai Park, where many Lao families and young couples were out enjoying themselves.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 21/11/2007 - 21:55

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Head to the river and most of the guest houses are good. My favourite is the Orchid with its roof terrace overlooking the Mekong, great place to enjoy your first Beer Laos and enjoy the view, I love it. The GH is about the same as the others, pretty standard.

I hear good things about a large GH by the Scandinavian Bakery, name escapes me, but won't be difficult to find.

Vientiane is one of those 'tumbleweed' capital cities, laid back, easy to navigate and nothing much to do. I stop for a couple of days passing through, enough time to rest and relax and see the few things on offer, then travel on to other destinations. Just watch out for the tumbleweed.....

#4 Posted: 23/11/2007 - 12:07

• 2face

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

I'm now (Dec 1st, 07) staying at Syri 1 GH, just next the stadium. they asked for 7usd a night. The place is very good and family-like as Travelfish has written. Longer-term (a week, maybe?) could get you to 6 beans a day.

As I am in town for the next few days, if there's something i can run down for you let me know.

All the best.

#5 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 13:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.