Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Getting to the North from Huay Xai

• Mi

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2007

I like to spend most of my 4 weeks in Northern Laos.The trekking possibilities sound fantastic.

Comming from Bangkok is our best bet to bus to Chiang Rai then bus to Chiong Khong?

Any suggestions on things to avoid or especially recommend would be greatly appreciated.Transport is my biggest worry.

Also WHAT IS THE BEST way to get from Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha - Muang Sing - Muang Long- Pongsali.

#1 Posted: 26/11/2007 - 23:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mi,

There are direct buses (at least one a day) from Bangkok to Chiang Khong, so unless you want to go to Chiang Rai, there is little need to go there first.

If you're heading up through that part of Laos, you may want to check out the Gibbon Experience.

#2 Posted: 27/11/2007 - 10:13

• Mi

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2007

Thanks, that helps a lot. The Gibbons Experience sounds wonderful. I'm checking into it.

#3 Posted: 27/11/2007 - 20:52

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

On how to get to Luang Nam Tha - Muang Sing etc part of your question...

Think of all those towns you just mentioned as a big loop with the portion between Muang Long and Huay Xia being connected via the Mekong and a two hour road trip. Cut and past this url and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.se-asia.com/maps/maps_switch.php?city_name=laos_North&map=laos_north

The road Huay Xai to Luang Namtha is extremely good, brand new, reported times under 4 hours. The top of the loop gets worse, a couple hours over the mountain to Muang Sing, then a couple long hours on dirt to Muang Long, and similar to Xiengkok. Traffic gets very thin after Muang Sing.

Transport is mostly public busses or the pickups called busses, step through motorcycle available in Luang Namtha via Zuela's guest house. Fast boat on the river. At least one bus runs every day from every place often two.

#4 Posted: 29/11/2007 - 10:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.