Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos (Vietianne) or Vietnam (Hanoi) Orphanage

• dhessie

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2007

I'm looking at volunteering in an orphanage in either Vietianne or Hanoi for a week. Has anyone ever done this? Is it possible to just show up and ask to volunteer? If so, can you give me the name of the orphanage? What kind of things did you do? Thanks.

#1 Posted: 28/11/2007 - 15:28

• Advertisement

• Suturn

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012
    Location Italy
    Total reviews: 8

Orphanage volunteering (or Orphanage Tourism) is a filthy business. It's just terribly stressing for the children to have new people every week and being forced to show affection to them. Here some other tips:

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/peopleandpower/2012/05/201252285116180430.html

#2 Posted: 22/6/2012 - 08:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Here in Mukdahan we have a school for the deaf. It's a resident school. Most of the kids are not orphans, but they do live in dorms far from home, often from poor families and the school does not have a lot of money for even basics. For my wife's birthday we bought lunch last year for the kids and I must say it was heartbreaking. They all wanted attention (there were hundreds of them), a number of the kids were hugging me and didn't want to let go. I agree having part time visitors, well meaning though they may be, is not necessarily doing the kids a whole lot of good.

#3 Posted: 22/6/2012 - 08:32

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Are there no orphans in your home country?

#4 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 06:13

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

I'm with the crowd here -- please don't do it. Perhaps look into sponsoring a local employees wages at an orphanage or something if your intention is to genuinely help orphans.

#5 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 08:44

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

This is a very bad idea. Do you realise you need a work permit even to volunteer? Do you also realise that this is a very stressful experience for the kids; they meet someone and then after a week they leave. Please do not do this.

#6 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 22:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.