Flag of Laos

Laos forum

The Well Beaten Path - Vientiane, Vang Viang, Louang Phabang

• hooloovoo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2007

Finally, I've made up my mind to go to Laos in Feb 08. Unfortunately I have too few days to spare and too many places to go, so I hope I can get some candid advice on my tentative schedule:

Fri: Singapore (SG) overnight coach to Kuala Lumpur (KL)

Sat: KL - Vientiane (Air Asia - arrives morning)

Sun: Vientiane to Vang Viang (latest possible bus - was hoping to stay one more day at Vientiane, but from what I've read perhaps it would be a better idea to spend that extra time in Vang Viang / Louang Phabang instead?)

Mon: Vang Vieng

Tues: Vang Vieng

Wed: Vang Vieng to Louang Phabang

Thurs: Louang Phabang

Fri: Louang Phabang

Sat & Sun: Louang Phabang slow boat to Houay Xai (I'm a little worried about this. Are there daily boat rides out of Louang Phabang? Do I have to spend the night at Houay Xai? But this is one portion of the trip that I REALLY want to do!)

Mon: onward to Chiang Khong / Chiang Mai

Tues: Chiang Mai (??)

Wed: Chiang Mai to KL (morning Air Asia flight) then KL to SG

I think my main worry is the portion from Louang Phabang onward to Chiang Mai. As much as I'd love to spend more time in Laos, I'm thinking that a one day buffer (Tues in Chiang Mai) would be a safer bet. Any other suggestions?

I know that alot of time is spent on the roads, but unfortunately this seems to be the best possible (and affordable) route for me to get to Laos from Singapore.

All advice, tips and suggestions are welcome. As well as advice on what to do and places to go!

Also, anyone has any idea on how the rock climbing scene is like in Laos? Rough Guide 2nd Ed seem to suggest that it's developing (back in 2002 when it was written). Anyone been there climbing recently?

#1 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 14:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

My first suggestion would be to reverse it. So fly KL to Chiang Mai and return from Vientiane to KL.

The reason for this is then you're going downriver from Huay Xai to LP, and so the trip takes closer to 1.5 days rather than the full 2 days it takes if you go up river.

So, if you do that, you can have one night in CM, bus to Chiang Khong, where you'll need to overnight. Cross border first thing in the morning and get the slow boat south.

Otherwise looks pretty good -- if I had a spare day I'd spend it in Luang Prabang rather than Vang Vieng.

Hope that helps, and apologies for reorganising your trip ;-)

#2 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 14:10

• hooloovoo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2007

Wow, thanks for the quick reply somtam2000!! That was absolutely awesome. I don't know why I never quite decided to look at the journey the other way - I think it's got something to do with starting with the the not-so-much to shout about Vientiane first then kindda ending the Laos experience with Luang Phabang. Plus read on Rough Guides about doing the slow boat ride in reverse being a little less crowded.

But that may just be the right solution for me. And placing the iffy part of the trip right at the start could be alot less stressful as well! I can't believe I didn't even think about that! And guess what, in this way, I actually can fly direct into Chiang Mai from SG.

Perhaps I should re-post my tentative schedule:

Fri: SG - Chiang Mai (arrive Chiang Mai 0830h)

Sat: Chiang Mai - Chiang Khong (overnight at Chiang Khong)

Sun & Mon: Chiang Khong - Houay Xai - Luang Phabang

Tues: Luang Phabang

Wed: Luang Phabang

Thu: Luang Phabang - Vang Vieng

Fri: Vang Vieng

Sat: Vang Vieng

Sun: Vang Vieng to Vientien

Mon: Vientien

Tue: Vientien - KL - SG (1110h flight out of Vientien)

Same number of days, but somehow seem to be alot less iffy than the previous schedule!

#3 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 14:34

• limchris60

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2007

I am also a Singaporean and I am heading to Laos on 10 Dec. Basically following the same intinerary from Chiang Mai to Vientiane. Another alternative for your trip home is to cross into Thailand via the Friendship Bridge and take the overnight train to Bangkok. There should be a lot more option for flight between Bangkok-Singapore.

#4 Posted: 2/12/2007 - 00:27

• sereneyeap

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2007

your trip now seems much better planned other than I will skip Vang Vieng and stay in Luang Phabang instead. I stayed there last year for about a week. And the boat trip is stunning, but very painful, so give yourself sometime to recover from it! And then give Vientiene a chance, its one of the most laid back capitals you will find in a South East Asian city. Take a long walk down the river, walk into the local markets and eat with the locals away from the tourist drag which really is only a couple of streets.

Cross over on the Frienship Bridge and take an overnight train from Nong Khai to Bangkok that you can book with http://www.traveller2000.com/.

Happy travelling, I am going back out to Thailand and Laos in three weeks myself. I am a Laotian addict.

#5 Posted: 2/12/2007 - 19:36

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

No one seems to have answered your rock climbing question, so I'll give it a crack. The answer is yes there is rock climbing - I personally didn't do it, but met a guy from Sweden who went to Vang Vieng just for the rock climbing and he didn't seem disappointed.

I only spoke with him briefly on a bus from Vientiane to 4000 Islands but his basic trip plan for SEAsia was rock climbing and diving.

#6 Posted: 3/12/2007 - 09:32

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Nong Khai on the Thai side of the Friendship Bridge is well worth 2 or 3 days of your time. Stay at The Mutmee, on the banks of The Mekong - you won't regret it.

#7 Posted: 6/12/2007 - 02:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Louang Phabang-Phonsavan-SouthernLaos- Hoi An ... By jackieanddavid on 27 Sep 2009 2 2374 28 Sep 2009
Lai Heua Fai Festival/ Louang Phabang ... By moonlight on 1 Oct 2007 3 1942 2 Oct 2007
Off the beaten path ... By Sunny5049 on 11 May 2006 1 1857 13 May 2006
Off the beaten path from Luang Prabang ... By cbaumga2 on 26 Apr 2009 8 3016 7 May 2009
Hoi An bike tours, Off the beaten path. ... By aslocran on 21 Feb 2008 1 3541 14 Sep 2012
Travelling around Phuket, many islands and beaches... on and off the beaten path! ... By Mexicano31 on 5 Aug 2010 0 1734 5 Aug 2010
VANG VIANG TO CHIANG MAI ... By B3ANO on 25 Jan 2011 1 2724 26 Jan 2011
Louang Prabang to Phonsavan or Vang Vieng? ... By ChrisM48 on 2 Jan 2009 7 7605 11 May 2009