Flag of Laos

Laos forum

money in laos

• bakmeister

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2007

hi, will it be easy to change aussie dollar to kip in laos? thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 18/12/2007 - 22:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

In major centres, yes no problem. If you're out in the boonies then I'd suggest a few notes in USD (or a couple of kilos of kip) just as a safety precaution.

#2 Posted: 19/12/2007 - 12:25

• bakmeister

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2007

thanks for the reply. have changed into USD just to be safe.

#3 Posted: 19/12/2007 - 20:44

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

In the smaller towns you can change money at the banks, Aus$ will be one of those currencies. I have changed UK Pounds in Pakse before now. As above, I don't recommend relying on this, take some US$/Kip as advised already.

#4 Posted: 23/12/2007 - 18:56

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

On the border areas near Thailand you can sometimes use some Thai baht.

#5 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 11:54

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I regularly change aud throughout Laos and have never had a problem. Baht is universally accepted, not just "On the border areas near Thailand." usd is of course accepted universally as well.

#6 Posted: 3/1/2008 - 13:28

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

although i've easily used thai baht in luang prabang and vientiane, i've had people refuse baht on several occasions in places like phonsavan. so i'd have to say that baht is generally rather than universally accepted. also, in my experience, the farther you get from the thai border, the rate you'll get for your baht, particularly for small purchases, seems to drop dramatically. (that seemed to be true in cambodia as well). hope that helps. cheers.

#7 Posted: 3/1/2008 - 21:27

• Aishas

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2007

hey!

and what about Euros? do banks change Euro into kip? I'd rather prefere use my Euros instead of changing them into usd and then kip.....just to save commission...

thank you, cheers
    rita

#8 Posted: 11/1/2008 - 16:12

• JoHe59

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2006

No problem there, banks change euro as well. The euro is a strong(er) currency nowadays, therefore very welcome. I never changed baht into kip, but in the touristic places they'll accept them as well.

#9 Posted: 11/1/2008 - 19:19

• Aishas

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2007

thank you!! that's a great news! unfortunately travel guides usually talk about $, but don't consider €.....I don't know why....

by the way, I'll have my Euros!!!!

cheers, rita

#10 Posted: 14/1/2008 - 17:43

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

" so i'd have to say that baht is generally rather than universally accepted."

Most amusing as I chaneg Baht on a regular basis throughout Laos with no difficulties at all. Did you tendr a 1000Baht not at a small shop by any chance?

#11 Posted: 16/1/2008 - 11:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.