Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Bicycle Safety? Vientane to LP.

• mackpappy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Hello,

I'm doing a bicycle trip for a couple of weeks starting in Vientiane and heading up through LP and on into the north. Any word on the safety of the road, particularly north of Vang Vieng? There are some older warnings about fighting/ambushes in that area, so I wanted to check. Thanks!

Geoff

#1 Posted: 8/1/2008 - 06:40

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's fine -- the vast majority of reports of violence on this road are related to incidents years ago. Your biggest concern should be how hilly the road is!

#2 Posted: 8/1/2008 - 08:11

• petemac

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Went that way by bike last year safety is not a concern.

#3 Posted: 8/1/2008 - 17:42

• Lam_merison

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2007

Agree with Rep 1,2

#4 Posted: 18/1/2008 - 17:58

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

I have cycled this route, in both directions, a number of times. There is a heavy Laos army presence in the area, there are no current problems with safety. The heavy army presence is due to the sporadic violence which erupts in the 'Special Zone' which is adjacent to the route. The special zone is not open to whitey (or at least I have not heard of anyone getting in) and is home to the Hmong. The violence is a cause of the ongoing Hmong struggle.

The road is safe, well protected and you will have a good time. As above, many of the reports which persist are old reports, specifically the 2 (Swedish/Dutch?) cyclists who got caught in cross fire and died in Kasi a number of years ago (can't remember how many years ago without looking it up). I have talked with some of the Laos army guys at the check point to the special zone(my Thai is good but my Laos is less so) and I kinda gleaned that they feel that the problems are not a major concern and are becoming less prominent.

#5 Posted: 20/1/2008 - 13:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Safety Tip - Don't Put Valuables in the Bicycle or Motorcycle Basket ... By exacto on 11 May 2006 1 1340 11 May 2006