Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos and Thailand

• stroked11

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2008

Hi

Myself and some friends are planning a 4 week holiday in July to visit Laos and Thailand. We arrive and depart from Bangkok and plan to spend 2 weeks in Laos and 2 weeks in Thailand. I understand that 2 weeks is probably not enough time to see most of Thailand and we therefore plan to focus on one area of the country, as we don't want to rush.

I was just wondering if someone could help with a brief itinerary which they think would take in the best parts of Laos and a section of Thailand not to be missed? I have read through through the website's info on Laos and have a rough idea where to visit but im not to sure whats the best order to take or if there are spots that are a must visit.

I understand its quite a broad question but any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks very much for the help.

#1 Posted: 23/1/2008 - 05:47

• Advertisement

• mick110971

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

HI
    Last year i spent 4 weeks in thailand and laos this was our itinery hope it helps cant remember how long we spend in each place sorry we had no set times we just stayed longer at a place if we like it.

Bangkok
    Kanchanaburi
    Sangkhlaburi (this was well worth the time to get there nice and quiet and a real burmese feel about it)
    Ayuttya
    Bangkok to fly to Chang mai ( spent about a week in chang mai flew to
    Luang Prabang (very nice place)
    flew to Vientiene
    udon thani
    flew to Bangkok
    bus to Koh Chang
    Then last week in hospital after scooter crash

Feel free to ask any questions we used this site for 90% of our accommodation and we were very happy with the advise.
    Cheers

#2 Posted: 23/1/2008 - 11:32

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You may also want to take a breeze through the suggested itinerary section for some ideas.

#3 Posted: 24/1/2008 - 09:42

• stroked11

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2008

Cool, thanks for all the advice. The suggested itinerary section was very useful.

#4 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 05:28

• JayneDavies-

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

My son and I visited Laos and Thailand last year, we travelled by train from Bangkok to Nong kai which although long was worth every moment, don't bother with food for the journey as you can eat like wonderfully well on the way, at each stop someone comes on selling freshly cooked food. The train is uncumfy, take cushions, but so clean! We then travelled by bus across Loas, get your visa before you leave Bangkok, again worth every bump and pot hole. Luanb prabang is a spiritual joy, all the wats are worth a visit, but a must is to give food to the monks early in the morning. Visit the waterfall just outside the town. Go with an open mind, enjoy every moment just think of Apocalypse Now

#5 Posted: 2/2/2008 - 04:59

• arlidon

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2008

Tofu and vegetarian food in Laos

Hi
    I´m planning on travel in Laos for 4 weeks. my wife and I are vegetarian and TOFU is basic in our meals. It is easy to be vegetarian in Laos? Tofu is easy to find?
    Thanks in advance

#6 Posted: 3/2/2008 - 05:20

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"just think of Apocalypse Now". Wrong country - thats Cambodia, not Laos. Laos never had anything like the killing fields. (Unless you consider the carpet bombing of parts of the country by the US as part of this.)

#7 Posted: 3/2/2008 - 09:04

• JayneDavies-

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

Yes, I know that Apocalypse Now was not in Laos. It was the scenery not the contents. I did not come across any tofu on my travels, but there is a salad which is served everywhere which has water cress and egg (a problem is you are vegan) Most of the time we were there we ate fresh fruit and veg not much meat or fish. Sticky rice is served as a staple.

#8 Posted: 7/2/2008 - 18:25

• cecco

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2008

I am retired and living in Thailand. I recommend many places to see and stay.

You will want to go to chiang mai to see the Sunday Market for sure, at the Thae Phae Gate. It begins about 5 pm and goes until late. Forget the night bizarre, it's full of tourists and is too expensive and sells a lot of junk.

Then, outside of Chiang Mai, you will want to go to Bon Tavai for shopping and seeing wood carvings and the like. don't go to Saakempang or Bornsong because the tour guides get commissions, food, etc everywhere u stop, literally.

For lunch, in Chiang mai, go to Nang Nual (pronounced nang Nuan).

For where to stay, I stay at the Park hotel because it's nice and affordable, and usually full. (66-53) 279 948

Also, at Thae Phae Gate for the Sunday Market, you can get a 800 baht a night rooms with showers at the Montri (66) 53 211 069-70, and pay a bit more across the moat at the Rydges Hotel for upper crustic .. 66-53 251 531 www.rydges.com.

Then, from there you call Aya 053 - 699 888 053 - 699 940, and they will pick u up by van from your hotel for 180 baht, and u take u to Pai. Once you arrive there, u will find many many places to stay, in and out of town.

I would recommend that if u go to Udon Thani, you stay here: Thomas Resort
    Udon Thai House
    119/10 Moo 2,
    Tambon Nongbua, Muang
    Udon Thani 41000, Thailand

Phone 66-42-204-014

Fax 66-42-204-234

Cell: 66-86-235-3663,

but, if you wish to stay in Town, you stay here:

081-873-6988 (if a phone number has an (8), it is a cell fone. If it doesn't have an (8) it is not a cell phone
    042-344-081

Silver Reef B & B
    338/8 Prajack Road, Markhang
    Meung, Udon Thani 41000

www.silverreefudon.com

both places are about 600 baht a night.

------
    If you go on over to Ubon Ratchathani, you stay here:

Wrong Way Cafe 49/4-5 Phadoeng Road 045-245-921

-=-----------

You will want to see Ban Nga Kha for clothing. Find the temple and go outside the temple and u will see the fabrics. it is 20 minutes from Udon, and then when u get to Nong Kai, go to see Sala Keo Keu for sure! don't miss that at all.

hope this helps.

#9 Posted: 3/3/2008 - 12:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.