Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Bikes banned from roads in Luang Prabang

Posted by marakusch on 24/1/2008 at 17:01

#1 marakusch has been a member since 4/4/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by marakusch on 24/1/2008 at 17:04

Since my last time being here things have changed a bit and bikes have disappeared pretty much from the roads...substituted by TukTuks. I am not sure if this is a long term decision but anyways I had quite a few problems finding a mountain bike. Companies said it was forbidden by the government.

Also the police stopped a few travelers asking them where they got their bikes...

I really hope this will change but som friends have told me it is a real law...same as not beeing able to rent motorbikes (officially)

Thanks and let me know if you know more about it

#2 marakusch has been a member since 4/4/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by KPTham1 on 24/3/2008 at 23:27

Yes, things have changed in LP. We were in LP in Dec 06 and Dec 07. 2nd time round , not only did we see more motorcycles but also MPVs not previously seen in DEc 06. The night market also sold more commercially made items similar to those in Chiangmai. I think LP is good for another visit within the next 2 year, after that it will most probably be off my list of places to visit. Pity . my first visit to LP took me more than 2 years in the planning.

#3 KPTham1 has been a member since 26/9/2006. Posts: 52

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.