Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

How much Cash/Travellers Cheques

Posted by elena9 on 27/1/2008 at 19:45

Hi everyone,

I'm just trying to work out how much cash we should carry into Laos and how much we should take in Travellers Cheques.

We will be in Laos for ~ 20 days and want to make sure we have enough. 3 days will be spent on the Gibbon Experience so I guess we won't need money then.

We are thinking $1000-1500 (Australian) ie US$880-1300 will be plenty? Is it best to take the majority in cash (maybe in the ratio 2:2:1 $US:Baht:Kip) and hope that we're not robbed, or are travellers cheques easy to exchange for cash without excessive commission fees?

Any feedback appreciated.

#1 elena9 has been a member since 10/1/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somsai on 27/1/2008 at 20:27

The worst robbery I've ever heard of in Laos is bag snatch, so if you keep your money/passport under your cloths in one of those small bags losing stuff shouldn't be a problem. Never ever in a backpack or hotel room.

Cashing T-checks never seems to be a problem, it's the buying them that hurts me. ;-)

Your budget sounds fine, depending on your style of traveling. Remember foreign currencies are for changing, kip is for spending, or you will pay a lot more.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.