Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Don Det-Siem Reap/Phnom Pehn

• suecatwoman

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Whatever you do, do NOT book a ticket from Don Det to Siem Reap/Phnom Pehn! I booked one at Mr.B's and they left me in Kratie only to get scammed by the people at riverside hotel(horrible place)! Book a ticket to Kratie and figure it out from there.

And another thing, stay away from Indian Food in Laos!

#1 Posted: 19/2/2008 - 13:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear about your experience...

For those who are looking for a blow by blow explanation of how to do this trip, we've got the skinny right here.

#2 Posted: 19/2/2008 - 14:23

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

I quite enjoyed the Indian food we had at Nazim's in both LP and Vientiane and would certainly recommend to others, very tasty, cheap, cold beer, good lassis, no problems

#3 Posted: 19/2/2008 - 22:09

• ckay

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2008

I been personally travel to Phnom Penh from Vientiane by road recently. My only advise on this is, buy your ticket in Stung Treng (the nearest town after the Lao border). Express buses will be leaving everyday to Phnom Penh in the morning only.

If you travel by public transport from Laos to Phnom Penh, for sure you have to stay over night at Stung Treng because express buses only available in the next morning.

In return, NEVER buy direct ticket from Phnom Penh to Vientiane!! You may end-up yourself at the border, waiting for the transport to pick you up!!

#4 Posted: 22/2/2008 - 17:46

• buncis

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2008

I agree with the second poster that the Indian food in Pakse at the Jasmin cafe was very good on the two occasions we ate there; probably some of the best dinners so far in Laos.
    As far as travel from Vientiane to Siem Riep, we have just arrived after purchasing through transport from Pakse Travel in Pakse; the cost was $36 US per person and included a variety of mini-vans, ferries amd AC buses. There were several bus changes in Cambodia and it took about 36 hours with an overnight in Kratie. A bit slower and rougher than advertised, but were here now in Siem Reip.
    We were wble to get a visa upon arrival at the Cambodian border for $21 US; no muss, no fuss.

#5 Posted: 23/2/2008 - 09:03

• mercyboocoo

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Indian food in Pakse was really good in Pakse. In Don Det, Jasmin cafe has a restuarant there now, but not as good. They don't seem to have all necessary ingredients for Indian food.

Travelling to Siem Reap/Phnom Penh from Laos for me was a disaster. I booked my ticket with Pakse travel which was fine until the Cambodian side. It seems like tour operators on Don Det island have picked up on this desired route. It's not hard to find a good deal to get into Cambodia. But many delays! I waited in Stung Treng for our bus for five hours!

Here's some advice if going to Siem Reap. A person working for the tour operator will take your ticket and replace it with a new one at the border and at Stung Treng. Try to keep your ticket, or at least get the name of the person. It's a paper trail basically from Laos into Cambodia for these workers to get their cut. and when you get off the bus in Kratie and end up talking to one of those guys that offers you accommodation, chances are they might know the person you dealt with from Stung Treng or the border. And they're more likely not to scam you. it's really who you know, not what you know.

We were almost scammed in Kratie, but one of the guys I was travelling with remembered the name of a guy working at the border. It took 3 hours to get our official bus tickets, but we left first thing in the morning.

Oh yeah and another thing, if you have an overnight in Kampong Cham when going to Siem Reap, don't be surprised if you overnight in Kratie.

Hope this helps!

#6 Posted: 20/4/2008 - 20:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Pehn or Siem Reap to Koh Chang?? ... By crispydog on 3 Sep 2011 1 2679 3 Sep 2011
Siem Reap to Phnom Pehn on the Mekong Express Limousine Bus ... By Gill50 on 26 Mar 2013 3 10180 27 Mar 2013
Phnom Pehn to Bangkok ... By liandradp on 5 Sep 2006 3 2679 6 Sep 2006
Phnom Pehn driver ... By MrBee on 26 Nov 2008 1 2363 12 Jan 2009
phnom pehn to phu quoc in one day ... By jlov37 on 13 Nov 2010 0 1196 13 Nov 2010
Apartment in Phnom Pehn ... By ecilassim on 12 Sep 2009 4 3184 30 Sep 2009
Phnom Pehn to HCMC ... By longleat on 20 Apr 2007 6 2535 21 Apr 2007
Siem Reap to Phnom Penh ... By Pedrera on 15 Dec 2011 0 6906 15 Dec 2011
How to get From Siem Reap - Phnom Penh ... By Aaron88 on 24 Aug 2011 15 36943 15 Jun 2012
DIY phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... By ckh on 19 Feb 2010 8 6686 19 Sep 2010