Flag of Laos

Laos forum

How long should I give msyelf to travel and see from ChiangMai to Vientiane?

• convery

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

I am planning a trip of the area with very little time on my hands. Just wondering how possible it was to get from ChiangMai, Thailand to Vientiane, Laos in about 5or6 days?

Day 1- Depart Chiang Mai for Chiang Khong, and then to Huay Xai, Laos
    Day 2 - Depart on boat to Pakbeng
    Day 3 - Depart on boat to Luang Prabang
    Day 4 - Luang Prabang
    Day 5 - Depart on a bus to Vientiane (via Vang Vieng)

Is this itenerary possible?
    My main questions are:
    1) Can I get from Chiang Mai to Huay Xai, Laos in one (1) day of travelling?
    2) Can I take a bus directly from LuangPrabang to Vientiane without much of a layover in VangVieng.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

#1 Posted: 10/3/2008 - 01:28

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Convery,

This itinerary is technically possible, but that's an awful lot of travelling to pack into just a few days, and unfortunately it sounds like you'll be spending the great majority of your time travelling and not much actually being anywhere.

To answer your questions:

1) You can get from Chiang Mai to Huay Xai in one day.
    2) There are direct buses from LP to Vientiane. They leave LP early in the morning, passing through VV with a brief stop and then continue to Vientiane. Even so, it is an all-day trip.

If the scenery and the experience of the journey is the most important thing to you, then you should be okay with this itinerary. It would be great if you could somehow add an extra day or two to this itinerary. However, if you cannot add an extra day or two to this trip, then there are a few ways you could save time so that you could spend more time in Luang Prabang along the way.

The first is by skipping the boat trip and flying directly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang. That would save you at least two days, which still isn't much time to soak up the magic of Luang Prabang.

If the boat trip is important to you, another option is the fast boat from Huay Xai to LP. I've not done that myself, but some folks recommend it while others don't. Perhaps others will chime in here with their own recommendations and experiences to help you better decide which is best for you.

You can also save time by flying directly from LP to Vientiane. That means skipping the bus trip, however, which is an amazingly scenic (albeit grueling) bus journey.

No matter what you decide, good luck. I hope you have fun. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 10/3/2008 - 01:47

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Hi Convery,

I'd take a bus to Nong Khai Thailand and go across the river to Vientiane. Or... if you really want to go through all those towns just get a direct bus Huay Xai / Vientiane.

As it is you only have one day to actually spend time off a bus or boat. As someone once said, "less is more". Smell the roses.

#3 Posted: 10/3/2008 - 05:27

• kam_taxi

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2008

Hello, convery
    how many days, will you spend in VTE, sir?

#4 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 09:16

• convery

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. The most important thing here, was that yea, I'm probalby trying to pack in too much into this portion of my trip. Im considering dropping a few cities off my list, just so i could slow down and appreciate the others.

I want to spend at least 2 full days in each of LuangPrabang and Vientiane. Hopefully that should be enough to soak it all in.

I'm consideing flying directly from ChiangMai to LuangPrabang (skipping the slow boat trip altogether to save time). Anybody have any thoughts on this, bc as uncomforable as it might be. I'm interested in the experience and the scenery of the boat trek down that part of Laos.

Re: kam_taxi.
    I'm spending about two days there. You think thats enough to cram in the full experience of Vientiane?

#5 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 12:49

• kam_taxi

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2008

2 days is not too bad sir, but it depends what do you expect to experience!

where is your next stop then, after Vientiane?

#6 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 13:16

• convery

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

I guess I just want to see the major tourist attractions in Vientiane, Experience some of the culture (food, nightlife, etc). Anything exciting i'm always down for.

After Vientiane, I was planning on getting down to Siem Reap (not sure the best method to get there). Spend about 3 days there. and then I have to choose between 3 days in PhnomPenh or HoChiMinh.

#7 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 18:50

• kam_taxi

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2008

when are you going to Laos sir?

maybe flying to Siem Reap!! might be good choice if you only have 3 days,

#8 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 19:41

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Seems a shame to want to miss out Vang Vieng. It's not half as bad as some people make out, and the scenery is A1. Accommodation is cheap, and it is possible to get a decent meal.

I didn't rate Vientienne that much, and had it not been for a week long festival at the Aussie Cultural Hall, it's have been fairly boring. A trip to the Budha Park was alright (nice open air restaurant on by the Meekong, and looking over to Nong Khai. Also did the Beer Lao Brewery, which while not the best 'Brewery Run' in the work, was alright.

If you are going to Vientenne, then it's be a shame to miss out a trip across the Bridge to Nong Khai, and have a couple of nights in the wonderful Mutmee Guesthouse.

Enjoy.

#9 Posted: 14/3/2008 - 03:30

• lauraskrink

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If you are on tight schedule missing the boat trip is not a big deal. It was billed as one of the last great adventure to us but i think that is a little over egging the pudding!

The scenery is ok but really no where near as beautiful as we were expecting, particularly not in a packed boat right next to the noisiest engine ever!

Luang Prabang is pretty cool although you can see most the major sights in the town in an easy day, but there are lots of great cafes and some trips you can do outside. Personally was not in love with Vang Vieng, scenery was pretty nice but the food was not good and I wouldn't overly recommend it if you are on a tight schedule!

Vientianne is also pretty limited on sights and you can most of the important stuff in a day, although again there is stuff to do outside!

Better to slow down and see some of the country rather than rush through it!

#10 Posted: 17/3/2008 - 14:15

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It would be a real shame to give Vientiane a miss, as the food is excellent and there is a lot to see. It will take at least 2 days to see the many sights. It is a far nicer place than Vang Vieng unless you enjoy getting stoned and drunk, enjoy crap food made for Western palates or very poor quality Indian, and re-runs of "Friends".

This is a shame but drunken tourists and yobs spoil the area with its Karst landscapes. Its still worth visiting, but I would not stay in a guesthouse, but the Vansana Hotel, which is on the river, has a great view and a lovely pool.

#11 Posted: 17/3/2008 - 17:03

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I know lots of people have expressed disappointment with how Vang Vieng has developed, but despite the obvious negatives there are still lots of great things about the town and as mentioned above it is still worth visiting.

I also definitely agree that it would be a real shame to give Vientiane a miss. There are quite a few things to see and do, plenty of places to just relax, and it is a great chance to see how the modern lao people are living.

#12 Posted: 17/3/2008 - 20:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vientiane/Luang Prabang /Chiangmai ... By KPTham1 on 26 Sep 2006 6 2855 12 Oct 2006