Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Best way Bangkok to N. Laos

• erinzita

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2007

Hi,
    We are flying into Bangkok on 8th April but want to spend most of our time in North Laos. What is the best way to get there? I was thinking of flying to Chiang Rai and then getting the bus to the border. This costs about 2800 THB each on Air Asia, which is a bit more than we want to spend. Is there a better way? We would prefer to get there are quickly as possible.

Many Thanks.

#1 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 18:25

• Advertisement

• Sneek

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2008

Flying to Chiang Rai will definitely be the fastest option.

Alternatively, you could take a night train to Chiang Mai, allowing you to move while sleeping. It takes about 12 hrs and costs about 900 baht a person for a 2nd aircon sleeper. From Chiang Mai, it is some 5 hrs to the border by minivan, I'm guessing it is about 200-250 baht a person.

A cheaper variant of the non-flying option would be a night bus from Bangkok, there may even be direct buses to Chiang Rai. These will definitely be cheaper than the train (think around 500 baht), but I suppose they're also less comfortable.

#2 Posted: 13/3/2008 - 20:17

• JoHe59

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2006

Last year (March) I took the night bus from BKK to Chiang Khong, right on the Laos border. It leaves the Northern Bus Terminal around 7 pm and arrives at 7 am. Very comfortable (reclining seats, leg rest, some drinks, some food). I paid 634 Baht. From the bus terminal in Chiang Khong it's a 5 minute tuk-tuk drive to the border, which opens at 8 pm (or even a bit earlier). After the paperwork, you take the boat across the Mekong to Huay Xai (5 min.). Visum and money exchange available on arrival. To get to the Northern Bus Terminal in BKK just take the BTS (Skytrain) to Mo Chit station and then a taxi (make sure you got the Thai name for Northern Bus Terminal on a piece of paper for the taxi driver).

#3 Posted: 13/3/2008 - 21:08

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

By Northern Loas , you mean North of Luang Nam Thai excluding Luang Prabang. If so, I think, BKK/Chiangrai/Chiang Khong is best. But when I did Luang Nam THai/Hua Xia/ Chiang Khong in Dec 2006, 60% of the road was laterite as the Chinese Government was still building the road . It was no joy -ride. However if your ultimate destination is Luang Prabang, slow boat from Hua Xai is an option but can be boring. However, from BKK you can take the night train to Nong Khai ( near Udon Thani) and then cross over to Vientiane. There you should be able to take bus North to Luang Prabang or fly. But never take the public bus, especially in the North ! I did,and it was more a cargo bus then a passenger bus !

#4 Posted: 13/3/2008 - 22:20

• erinzita

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2007

Thanks everyone. The overnight bus direct to the border might be a good cheap option. JoHe59, where did you book the bus ticket?

#5 Posted: 14/3/2008 - 19:45

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#4: i did the Huayxai-Luang Namtha road in Dec 2006 too. seems that work on it has since been completed & travel times of ~4 hours (without breakdowns) have been reported.

#6 Posted: 15/3/2008 - 23:08

• shelld

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2007

Hello Erinzita

We flew from BKK to Chiang Rai with Airasia for $36 USD because we had a very limited amount of time. We then caught a local bus to Chiang Khong for a pittance & stayed overnite before crossing into Laos.

I think your budget & timeframe defines your mode of transport, if you're in a hurray, catch a flight etc.

Enjoy Laos!

#7 Posted: 1/4/2008 - 14:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.