Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Luang Nam Tha

Posted by 73Chip on 22/3/2008 at 20:22

Hi all,
I've just read of the bus that does the trip in 9 hours. Just wondering if anyone's found a faster way to do it(rent a car/car and driver?) as I'm on a pretty tight schedule unfortunately.
Thanks in advance.

#1 73Chip has been a member since 9/2/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by ajinasia on 22/3/2008 at 21:06

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you can rent a motorbike, that'd be a great way to take the trip and see the villages along the way too.

Keep in mind: scooters are verboten for foreigners inside Luang Prabang town limits (at least, that was still the status 1 month ago, perhaps the rules have changed), so check to see what you do once you get to LP.

#2 ajinasia has been a member since 8/1/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by ajinasia on 22/3/2008 at 21:09

Posted from within Vietnam.

Sorry, I misread your message: you might be able to still inquire about renting a moto OUT of LP if you only intend to ride it to LM rather than in LP itself.

I met a guy who had a bike shipped up to LP from Vientiane and then he rode it back down south.

So, there might be an outfit in LP that has the same arrangement, where you ride out to LM and it can be shipped back - or ridden back by someone else...

good luck!

ps try the Indian restaurant in LM, it's on the main street and the food is delicious

#3 ajinasia has been a member since 8/1/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by 73Chip on 23/3/2008 at 16:26

Many thanks for your help, Ajinasia.

#4 73Chip has been a member since 9/2/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by somsai on 23/3/2008 at 21:42

You can private hire mini vans all over Laos. Luang Prabang being the center of Lao tourism there are probably more there than anywhere. That said you're not going to save much time. Laos is probably one of the last places on earth where you would want to be on a tight schedule. Relax.

#5 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.