Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Need help travelling southern laos

Posted by relf on 27/3/2008 at 12:22

Hey all,

I need to figure out how to get from Vientiane to cambodia. Which of the following places do you recommend visiting? (cant do them all!)

1) Tha Khaek
2) Savannakhet
3) Pakse
4) Champasak
5) Four Thousand Islands

Also, I know many fly from Vientiane to Phnom Penh, but is there a DIRECT route from laos to Siem Reap (my goal is to come down laos, visit siem reap and phnom penh without backtracking, and then make my way to vietnam (saigon up to sapa)). Also, how much will it cost to get from vientiane to siem reap/phnom penh by bus???

any advice is MUCH appreciated

#1 relf has been a member since 27/3/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/3/2008 at 12:08 admin

You cna fly from Pakse to Siem reap, but not sure about Ventiane to Siem Reap -- check the Lao Airlines website for more details.

Of the five you list, Tha Khaek is great for visiting the Kong Lo cave system to the north and Pakse is the hub for Bolaven Plateau etc. Champasak is good for an overnight stay and a visit to Wat Phu, while 4,000 Islands is just a great place to hang out.

The majority of people stop at Pakse and 4,000 Islands -- but really all the places you list are worth seeing -- how long do you have?

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by shelld on 1/4/2008 at 14:22

Hi Relf

We had no problems flying from Pakse to Siem Reap mid March, 08 with Lao Airlines for $107USD. We then flew to Saigon as we ran out of time.

The 4000 islands are well worth a visit. Don Det is a 'happy' party island so we stayed on Don Khon, not sure of the spelling (attached by bridge)& loved it. You can actually stay on floating guest houses if you get there early enough.

Stayed in Pakse too, great little city with lots of waterfalls nearby.

Enjoy your trip, you'll love Laos.

#3 shelld has been a member since 23/12/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by relf on 9/4/2008 at 21:08

hey guys, i posted my travel itinerary:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indochina/3636_Please-critique-my-45-day-SE-asia-itinerary/0

please check it out and leave a comment! i'd really appreciate it!

#4 relf has been a member since 27/3/2008. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.