Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Need help travelling southern laos

• relf

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2008

Hey all,

I need to figure out how to get from Vientiane to cambodia. Which of the following places do you recommend visiting? (cant do them all!)

1) Tha Khaek
    2) Savannakhet
    3) Pakse
    4) Champasak
    5) Four Thousand Islands

Also, I know many fly from Vientiane to Phnom Penh, but is there a DIRECT route from laos to Siem Reap (my goal is to come down laos, visit siem reap and phnom penh without backtracking, and then make my way to vietnam (saigon up to sapa)). Also, how much will it cost to get from vientiane to siem reap/phnom penh by bus???

any advice is MUCH appreciated

#1 Posted: 27/3/2008 - 12:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You cna fly from Pakse to Siem reap, but not sure about Ventiane to Siem Reap -- check the Lao Airlines website for more details.

Of the five you list, Tha Khaek is great for visiting the Kong Lo cave system to the north and Pakse is the hub for Bolaven Plateau etc. Champasak is good for an overnight stay and a visit to Wat Phu, while 4,000 Islands is just a great place to hang out.

The majority of people stop at Pakse and 4,000 Islands -- but really all the places you list are worth seeing -- how long do you have?

#2 Posted: 28/3/2008 - 12:08

• shelld

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2007

Hi Relf

We had no problems flying from Pakse to Siem Reap mid March, 08 with Lao Airlines for $107USD. We then flew to Saigon as we ran out of time.

The 4000 islands are well worth a visit. Don Det is a 'happy' party island so we stayed on Don Khon, not sure of the spelling (attached by bridge)& loved it. You can actually stay on floating guest houses if you get there early enough.

Stayed in Pakse too, great little city with lots of waterfalls nearby.

Enjoy your trip, you'll love Laos.

#3 Posted: 1/4/2008 - 14:22

• relf

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2008

hey guys, i posted my travel itinerary:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indochina/3636_Please-critique-my-45-day-SE-asia-itinerary/0

please check it out and leave a comment! i'd really appreciate it!

#4 Posted: 9/4/2008 - 21:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.