Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Nam Ou river in April

• erinzita

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2007

Hi,
    We'd like to travel down the Nam Ou by slow boat from either Phongsali or Muang Khua to Luang Prabang (stopping off at Muang Ngoi Neua and Nong Khiaw). The problem is I have heard that the river is often too low in April for boats to run. Does anyone know how likely it is for boats to be running at this time?

We don't want to get the bus all the way from Luang Nam Tha to Phongsali to find out that we can't get the boat and have to get the bus all the way back (and I get travel sick!). Is there any way of finding out without actually going there?

Many Thanks for any advice.

#1 Posted: 3/4/2008 - 13:12

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

could try contacting a guesthouse in Nong Khiaw, people there should be able to check with the boatmen at the boat landing there.

contact details for Sunset GH (Nong Khiaw) here: http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2007/11/251206-sunset-guesthouse-01.html

#2 Posted: 4/4/2008 - 11:16

• deuxbecs

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

You don't have to take a fast/slow boat! You can also experience the very slow boat, and row all the way down the Nam Ou from Phongsali to Luang Prabang! Here are a few lines about my adventure : http://deuxbecs.uniterre.com/68552/1.+Corsaires+du+Nam+OU.html

#3 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 00:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.