Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Myanmar to Laos to Hanoi

• biotope

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2008

Hi all, i'm planning a trip next mth and hoping to cover more ground namely from Myanmar to Laos and then finally end off in vietnam(Hanoi).

Basically I only have about 10-14 days and would like to maximize it. Halong bay is a must see which is where I'll end off the trip so I have basically a week or so to spend in Myanmar and Laos. Any suggested must see iternary??

In additional, just wanna check if there are buses readily available to cross overland to these places? what kind of fees and timing are we looking at?

Would really appreciate all the help I can get in this virgin posting :) Thanks all!!

#1 Posted: 8/4/2008 - 20:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

While we don't cover Burma on the site I can tell you it's currently not possible to cross overland between Laos and Burma for onwards travel in either country.

That aside you may want to take a look at the suggested itinerary section for ideas on what is doable within your timeframe.

I'd suggest looking at a number of flight connections -- eg Bangkok into Burma, and also from either Vientaine or Luang Prabang to Hanoi, as doing that overland takes a good few days, which you won't have an oversupply of.

For details on the border crossings -- see the border crossing FAQ for detailed coverage on most of the borders available.

#2 Posted: 9/4/2008 - 06:00

• biotope

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2008

thanks for the heads up!

been reading throough the border crossing FAQ and thanks for all the wonderful info.

However, in general, there is no timeline indicated. Can anyone advise how long it would take assuming I'm travelling from Phonasvan, using the namcan/nam khan crossing to finally reach hanoi??

#3 Posted: 9/4/2008 - 20:53

• biotope

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2008

sorry, been exploring the site more and noticed tat there are direct bus services from vientiane to hanoi?
    http://www.travelfish.org/transport/laos/vientiane_and_surrounds/vientiane/vientiane/all

any idea as to how long this trip will take?

#4 Posted: 9/4/2008 - 21:41

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The trip supposedly takes around 18 hours, but I'd take that with about six kilos of salt -- would guess closer to 24 hours best case scenario.

#5 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 08:01

• biotope

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2008

Hmm... well, guess I have to be less ambitious with the limited time that I have and stick with just either laos or vietnam... :(

Thanks for the info!

#6 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 11:31

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You should decide what it is that you really want to see in Burma before you decide on how to get there. Getting around in that country is incredibly and, in some cases, wonderfully slow, regardless of your means of travel. Even flying is slow because it takes a lot of time to get to and away from the airports and into whatever place you'll be staying in. Nothing moves quickly there except the police.

If you plan to check out Yangon and, perhaps, Bago, and Kyaiktiyo (Golden Rock), then you should skip the areas of Inle, Mandalay, and Bagan, and fly into Yangon from Bangkok. If you are thinking of going to Inle, Mandalay, Bagan or other places in the central-north part of the country, then you should consider flying from Chiangmai into Mandalay. That way you can fly back to Chiangmai and then head over to Chiang Kong where you can cross into Laos.

Hope this isn't too late for you to consider, if you haven't already.

Cheers

If you only have one week, or so, to spend there you might want to stick to the

#7 Posted: 24/4/2008 - 21:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.