Flag of Laos

Laos forum

10 day trip in Laos

• kierjan

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Hi All New here but would really appreciate your help.
    I'm hoping to be going to Laos in February/March of next year . Will be coimng in via Chiang Kong at the Huay Xia border crossing. From there we'll get the slowboat to Luang prabang, then head north to either Muang Ngoi or Nong Khiaow. After that we'll go back to Luang Prabang and then onto to Vang Viang.
    We eventually hope to end up in Hanoi so what i'm wondering is after that should we go to vientianne and fly to hanoi. or travel overland to Lak Xao and cross at the border there, bearing in mind we'd have to travel all the way back up Hanoi.
    Does anybody have any better suggestions?
    Thnaks, Jan

#1 Posted: 14/4/2008 - 23:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish Jan,

It depends how much time you have. You can fly to Hanoi from either Vientiane or Luang Prabang, and the flight takes about an hour. To do it overland takes a minimum of 24 hours.

There's a few overland crossings open now, so you don't need to go south to Lak Xao if you don't want to. See the border crossings FAQ for more information on the crossings, and the sample itinerary section will give you some ideas on how long it takes to get around.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 05:30

• kierjan

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Thanks for that. Had checked out itenary section/ Its what gave me the idea of flying to Hanoi in the first place, it wasa one of the how to save time tips. That section is so useful. didn't realise you could fly from LP though. What would you recommend, going back to LP after VV or would it be worth going to see Vientianne if even just for a day.

#3 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 16:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say continue onto Vientiane -- it's a relaxed town, lots of riverfront and more than a few things to see.

#4 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 11:10

• kierjan

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Thanks! Might do that i think.

#5 Posted: 17/4/2008 - 04:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.