Flag of Laos

Laos forum

money belts

• barrylad66

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

hi everyone
    can anyone suggest somewhere where i can purchase a good comfy moneybelt.
    thanks

#1 Posted: 23/4/2008 - 19:23

• Advertisement

• scomoore1

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

REI carries a nylon web Eagle Creek money belt that is used as a regular belt. Has the advantage of having no metal and will set off airport screening alarms. However, it holds only what I would consider 'emergency money' and a copy of your passport.

The same manufacturer makes a larger belt best fits the definition of a "MONEY BELT" -- fits under your shirt around your waist. Eagle Creek also makes a passport sized pouch with a loop that a regular belt slips through and you wear it under your pants or shorts. Another is basically a pouch with a necklace that you wear on your chest under a shirt. I've seen still another that is worn around the ankles and has a velcro fastener.

You should be able to get these at decent luggage store. I've even seen one or another of them at Target and J.C. Penny's. You can probably order one online from REI or eBags.

#2 Posted: 27/4/2008 - 01:00

• barrylad66

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

thank's for the info,i will check it out scomoore

#3 Posted: 27/4/2008 - 16:17

• katieq2

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

I didn't find a money belt necessary for Laos - I had one and didn't wear it for the entire Laos leg of my trip

#4 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 02:29

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Just as Katie says.

If you need to carry a money belt around all the time your carrying far to much money on you at any one moment.

#5 Posted: 1/6/2008 - 20:05

• scomoore1

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

The bulk of a money belt or pouch, especially filled with the bulk of hundreds of thousands of kip, is... face it... a pain in the ass. I always have one of these with me, but rarely use it unless to 'hide' some of it in my shoulder bag or secret backpack compartment. Thankfully, I've never needed to respond to an emergency involving lost money, checks, whatever while travelling in SE Asia. BUT...

Even in the US, I've found it useful to have a secret $50 bill or two folded into my handy Eagle Creek belt to use in emergencies.

#6 Posted: 21/7/2008 - 03:29

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I use the necklace described in #2, over my neck and under my left arm, I always feel it is there and I never lose it. Contains passport, credit card, a whole bunch of foreign cash and three of four million kip in fifty thousand notes. The whole thing takes very little space. On all night busses I sleep peacefully.

In my wallet I keep up to a million kip. Up to twenty notes in the big 50K size. Not enough to be devastating to lose, more than I can spend in a day, or two. Not enough to be overly atractive.

Every week or two I change more kip, but try to stay away from anywhere with an ATM. Towns with ATMs make me nervous, like I'm somewhere I don't want to be.

Secure money carrying is important, especially in Laos where cash is king.

Most things disappear out of a room. Even rarer, bag snatch, or drunk.

#7 Posted: 22/7/2008 - 10:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The real deal on money belts ... By planetclare on 29 Jul 2007 12 4816 16 Nov 2007