Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Lao Airlines?

• michmich11

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Safe? Reliable? I've heard mixed things. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 08:42

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

#2 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 09:04

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Not again! I'd be interested in what you have heard and what "experts" told you.
    Yes its as safe as any airline now, and friendlier than quite a lot.

#3 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 13:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Mich,

I'd definitely read the "Is Lao Airlines Safe to Fly" feature article that Somtam suggests. It will help put all the info you've heard into perspective so that you can make a sound decision for yourself. There are still significant differences in quality of aircraft based on which routes you fly, but even there things have improved significantly since the airline partnered up with others to address those old concerns about safety. In short, I fly them, and most people I know who have flown with Lao Airlines would fly with them again too. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 21:13

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

That article is a little out of date. Laos airlines actually have not partnered up with anyone. They do share the same flight numbers with Vietnam airlines on some flights to that country.

What they have done is purchased and leased more aircraft from China and France. Their servicing is now done under the terms of an international contract.

#5 Posted: 7/5/2008 - 09:11

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

I have flown with Lao Airlines thrice on the Vientiane /Luang Prabang sector in Dec 2006 and Dec 2007. In the interval of 1 year , I had noticed that in-flight safety standards has improved greatly. However, the ground service remained below international standard. And delays of up to 5 hours is not uncommon. I have been delayed twice for 4-5 hours on the Vientian/Luang Prabang Sector but I will fly Loas Airlines again.
    Anyway, have you read of any incidence lately ?

#6 Posted: 9/5/2008 - 00:06

• bailin

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2008

I have flown with Lao Airlines on the Vientiane/Luang Prabang, Vinetiane/Pakse/Cambodia and Vientiane/Saysomboune routes and not had any safety concerns. I can't recall a flight without a significant delay though (2 or 3 hours) so don't rely on their timetable. Will be fying with them again later this year.

#7 Posted: 18/5/2008 - 16:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.