Flag of Laos

Laos forum

north or south which is best ?

• mudgeerambl-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Given a limited amount of time (app 2 weeks) which is best for flash/backpackers interested in local culture and food ? I dont travel in a hurry. Have the philosophy of seeing something properly rather than briefly ? Thinking of going in November , any comments here ?

#1 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 16:27

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I happened to be in Southern Laos November last year for about the same amount of time, and it was great!

I was originally planning to see both the North and the South, but like you I don't like to travel in a hurry, so just ended up spending 13 days in Si Phan Don, Pakse and the the more remote Southern parts (Sekong, Attapeu). November was a good time to be there, not many people even on Don Det (in the rest of Southern Laos there never really is), and the weather was not scorching hot. Some rain, but didn't bother me much.

Anyway, I'm sure both have their charms, and I don't really have experience of Northern Laos, but I'd definitely recommend the South. Beautiful nature, amazing waterfalls and fabulous people. Chilling on Don Det, motorbiking around the provinces and amusing Laotians with my dance moves in Pakse were my highlights, all highly recommended.

#2 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 20:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Very generally speaking, first time visitors to Laos tend to do the north, as that's where all the "big ticket" destinations are, while repeat visitors head south.

I prefer the south, primarily because it's less busy with travellers, and while I agree with your idea of seeing something properly rather than quickly, some of the southern towns don't really have all that much to see, but if your content on the riverbank with a good book, then I really think the south is hard to beat.

That said, a Travelfish regular who I had the fortune to meet up with in Bangkok a while back said she found southern Laos to be pretty boring -- I was surprised as I figured it would be right up her alley, but she explained she could take it easy back home -- in Laos she wanted to see stuff and found the north had more to do.

With two weeks you're best to decide between the north and the south -- if you opt for the north, perhaps angle over to the northeast for a few days -- it's very untouristed up there (Hua Phan etc)...

#3 Posted: 8/5/2008 - 19:41

• mudgeerambl-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Thanks for that Lother and Sontam2000. I agree that I'll have to choose between North and South,unless i spend three weeks there and not go to Vietnam again. May boost the air fare up from Oz though.

Have you ever done the journey overland from Vietnam from around Hue . Have been to Vietnam before but the only place I visited "in the middle" was Hoi An (may spend a couple of days back there).

#4 Posted: 9/5/2008 - 08:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.