Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Entering Laos from Thailand (Overland)

• dharmakaya

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2008

Since I will have only about 10 days in the region(Laos&Cambo) I would need to fly a leg or 2 I reckon.. Id like to keep it to the bear minimum though.

Need advise on best and fastest overland travel :

From Phuket I thought Id stop in ChangMai for 2 days while heading upto Laos. Iv found that there is a train from Surat Thani which goes upto Chang Mai if I hop of to switch trains along the way (bypass Bangkok).

Laos itinerary looks to be :

Luang Prabhang ****
    Vang Viang **
    Vientiane ***
    Don Dhet****

The number of * represent how important the place is on my itinerary.

From there on I want to get into Cambodia for which I will start a discussion in the Cambo section.

#1 Posted: 25/5/2008 - 18:23

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Train from Surat to Chiang Mai will pass through Bangkok.

In ten days you're going to be moving pretty quickly. Remember Chiang Mai to LP takes two days (unless you fly), LP to VTE is a day and VTE to Si Phan Don is at least a day.

#2 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 17:18

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi dharmakaya

I have my Laos visa, and will get a Cambodia visa in Bangkok.

I'm travelling by train from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani on 10 June, and heading for Paxse (Laos)next day. Then to Champasak via boat and bus, then to Cambodia border by bus, and ultimately to Phnom Penh by slow boat.

If we catch up, we'll have a beer Lao. If we don't I'll have one for you while soaking up the Mekong sunsets, and the heady smell of Boeng Kak Lake.

Regards
    rayc

#3 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 17:57

• dharmakaya

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2008

Maybe we will cross paths who knows. Im still toying with different routes. Now you have given me another option too :)

#4 Posted: 30/5/2008 - 10:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Entering Laos from Thailand? ... By teacherjuli on 13 Apr 2009 1 2688 13 Apr 2009
Thailand to Laos overland from Ko Pha Ngan ... By tuck60 on 18 Jul 2013 4 1044 21 Jul 2013