Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vientiane to Hanoi

Posted by alexr on 4/6/2008 at 06:19

Hi,

I have planned to travel from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang then from Vientiane to Hanoi. From here i have planned to do vietnam in two weeks going down the coast and then going from Saigon to Cambodia and finally back to Bangkok.

I originally thought this was the most logical route but from looking at other itinaries it appears some people do Laos then Cambodia and then Vietnam.

I would probably fly from Laos to Vietnam as this seems to be the quickest route as we have such a short amount of time. Is this flight route commonly used?

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm that going from Laos then Vietnam then Cambodia, as i have planned, is valid? is there a reason that some people have tended to go from laos to cambodia then to vietnam? does this have anything to do with visas?

Thanks for any advice anyone can share!

#1 alexr has been a member since 20/5/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/6/2008 at 06:29 admin

It's certainly a valid route -- some tend to go to Cambodia first only because they're visiting southern Laos -- if you're not going there, then your trip plan makes perfect sense.

The flight to Hanoi is indeed a common and popular one -- flights are available from both Luang Prabang and Vientiane to Hanoi.

For the Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang leg you may want to give this story a read.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by alexr on 4/6/2008 at 06:59

Thanks so much for your reply! I was worried that i had got the wrong end of the stick, route-wise!

Regarding the flights, I have been doing some research on the Discovery pass. It isn't clear whether this is something that should be purchased in the UK? how does one purchase the pass- is it best to do it when out there or can we do it from home?

Since we are planning on flying from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, Vientiane to Hanoi and Pnom Phen to Bangkok, it seems the best option for us. However, is it possible to 'add' journies onto the disovery pass once we are out there e.g. if we decide we need additional internal flights in thailand?

Thanks so much for your help!

#3 alexr has been a member since 20/5/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/6/2008 at 07:06 admin

Hi alexr,
We've got a pretty exhaustive piece on the BKK Airpass here which should answer most of your questions.

The most important point is you must buy it in your home country -- it cannot be purchased in Thailand, so I think that would rule out buying additional coupons once you're in-country.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.