Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Vientiane to Hanoi

• alexr

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2008

Hi,

I have planned to travel from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang then from Vientiane to Hanoi. From here i have planned to do vietnam in two weeks going down the coast and then going from Saigon to Cambodia and finally back to Bangkok.

I originally thought this was the most logical route but from looking at other itinaries it appears some people do Laos then Cambodia and then Vietnam.

I would probably fly from Laos to Vietnam as this seems to be the quickest route as we have such a short amount of time. Is this flight route commonly used?

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm that going from Laos then Vietnam then Cambodia, as i have planned, is valid? is there a reason that some people have tended to go from laos to cambodia then to vietnam? does this have anything to do with visas?

Thanks for any advice anyone can share!

#1 Posted: 4/6/2008 - 06:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's certainly a valid route -- some tend to go to Cambodia first only because they're visiting southern Laos -- if you're not going there, then your trip plan makes perfect sense.

The flight to Hanoi is indeed a common and popular one -- flights are available from both Luang Prabang and Vientiane to Hanoi.

For the Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang leg you may want to give this story a read.

#2 Posted: 4/6/2008 - 06:29

• alexr

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2008

Thanks so much for your reply! I was worried that i had got the wrong end of the stick, route-wise!

Regarding the flights, I have been doing some research on the Discovery pass. It isn't clear whether this is something that should be purchased in the UK? how does one purchase the pass- is it best to do it when out there or can we do it from home?

Since we are planning on flying from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, Vientiane to Hanoi and Pnom Phen to Bangkok, it seems the best option for us. However, is it possible to 'add' journies onto the disovery pass once we are out there e.g. if we decide we need additional internal flights in thailand?

Thanks so much for your help!

#3 Posted: 4/6/2008 - 06:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi alexr,
    We've got a pretty exhaustive piece on the BKK Airpass here which should answer most of your questions.

The most important point is you must buy it in your home country -- it cannot be purchased in Thailand, so I think that would rule out buying additional coupons once you're in-country.

#4 Posted: 4/6/2008 - 07:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.