Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Allergies

• gkman

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008

Hey everyone,
    So in about 1 month I should be well on my way to Laos, but I've been hearing some worrysome things about the food. I have a severe allergy to fish (swelling of the throat and hives etc...) which if bad enough can be fatal. Now I have heard all about how fish sauce is in EVERYTHING, and vegetarian meals can be a bit difficult, but will I experience many problems if I bring around a card of some type in writing how allergic I am? And also in general, do the vegetarian dishes also have fish sauce in them also? I know it's going to be a challenge, but just looking to see how hard it's going to be. Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 01:08

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It will be a problem if you want to eat lao food. You will be ok in Vte and LP as you can eat in restaurants serving western style - manly French food.
    You would have to get your card written in Lao. Bringing one in English won't be of much use to you.

#2 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 07:01

• gkman

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008

Yeah I was thinking about getting a Bi-Lingual local to help me out with the translation. I find food to be a large part of the culture, and I really want to experience it, not french food in a different culture. Is it completely absurd to eat Lao food with no fish, or do I have a chance?

#3 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 07:18

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

My wife, (Laos), said you really will have problems. Not all dishes have it, but it "is up to people". If your allergy is really that serious I would stick to western food.

#4 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 15:36

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Fish sauce and the fermented fish paste go into many of the dishes, as well as marinades for grilled meats.

I don't think that many of the Chinese dishes use fish sauce. But you'll be safer sticking to the French food, as mentioned before. Hopefully, you're not French.

#5 Posted: 18/6/2008 - 21:20

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

"I don't think that many Chinese dishes use fish sauce"

Naman Hoi = Oyster sauce

#6 Posted: 19/6/2008 - 06:30

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Gkman can you tolerate that English condiment Worcestershire Sauce? If so you would probably be ok with the fish sauce in Laos as it contains less anchovies than Wocestershire Sauce.

I'd forget about restaurant food, just buy rice and eat fresh fruit. Laotians put fish sauce on veggies because it tastes good and there's always a chance some well meaning cook will put it on. Why bother.

#7 Posted: 19/6/2008 - 06:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.