Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang or Vietienne?

• Brisbod

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2008
    Location Australia

We are spending 3 weeks in Asia in October starting in Kuala Lumpur, flying to Phnom Penh, bus to Siem Reap and we then want to fly to either Luang Prabang or Vietienne for a few days before flying to Chiang Mai, then Bangkok. As our time is limited, we can only choose either LP or Vietienne. Which is recommended? Have read info about an elephant lodge in LP which sounds quite appealing, or would we be better to leave this sort of thing to Chiang Mai? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 9/6/2008 - 17:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

My vote would be for Luang Prabang . We're in the process of adding a stack of new content for our LP coverage (should be finished tomorrow), and, if you're looking for a single stop to encapsulate Laos, Luang Prabang is it.

#2 Posted: 9/6/2008 - 18:02

• Brisbod

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2008
    Location Australia

Brilliant - thank you again - I'd pretty much thought LP would be the winner. I'll look out for the new stuff on LP. Can I add how impressed I am with this website. I've been a big user of forums for holiday planning for years but this is the first year I've stumbled on Travelfish. The amount of info and advice for researching travelling in Asia is fantastic.

#3 Posted: 9/6/2008 - 18:20

• steiny

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

Luang Prabang is a world heritage town. World class, unique. Don't miss it. Especially when the alternative choice is Ventiane. Pleasant but not that much to distinguish it on the unique front.

#4 Posted: 29/6/2008 - 05:40

• steffanmath-
    ias

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008

LP is easily the most beautiful, it's very chilled, lovely, and somewhere to easily spend a couple of days chilling... saying that - i freakin' loved vientiane - i really enjoyed, it's amazing seeing how the Lao do a capital city. It's a really good place to meet locals - alot of people speak impecable english; and this might sound a bit snobby but... if you go to certain bars and clubs, you're more than likely to meet people who quite alot, and it's quite fun being shown a bit of the night on the town Lao style.

Saying all that i imagine you'll go for LP anyway, which is probably the right choice. Try getting a massage in the Red Cross centre in LP, and although it's not very 'Lao', there's a pizza place among the main stretch of restaurants (can't remember the name - the only thing i can think to distinguish it is that they did both white and wholemeal bases...), that's the best pizza i've ever had :)

happy holidays!
    x

#5 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 14:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9502 19 Aug 2011