Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Southern Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia itineray - Have you done it???

Posted by avyanakos on 27/6/2008 at 09:13

So I quit my job Monday...booked plane tickets today....and I leave in a week for SE Asia. Spontaneous travel at its best. The current preoccupation as I sift through all the travel info to nail down how much advance planning I really need to do. I'm using the "suggested itinerary" for southern laos/vietnam/cambodia as a loose guide. Has anyone done this romp specifically? How much planning is required to do this or will I be fine if I wing it? Ideas/suggestions PLEASE! Also, what's the deal with buses? I'm finding a lot of conflicting time tables. Where do I book tickets and is there a map/schedule that shows all to and from destinations? Specifically - if I'm in Tha Khaek and want to go to Lao Bao then to Hue - is this feasible?

A million thanks!!!
Victoria
NYC

#1 avyanakos has been a member since 27/6/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/6/2008 at 09:24 admin

Hi Victoria,

There's precious little need to book ahead. At the most you may need to pick up a ticket the day before departure. So I'd suggest winging just about everything except flights.

Tha Khaek to Lao Bao to Hue are straightforward legs -- it's a quite popular route for travellers -- no need to transit in Lao Bao unless you want to.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by avyanakos on 29/6/2008 at 21:06

Thank you!

Doing a bit more research i think i'm going to fly a few of the legs to save time. Can internal flights be booked on the spot/a day in advance or would I need to book them sooner?

thanks - v

#3 avyanakos has been a member since 27/6/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by smartso on 1/7/2008 at 21:15

I think it's best to book most flights at least 24 hours in advance (I think that's required if you are doing it online). As Som mentioned everything else can be booked the day before (often up until 8pm) and even sometimes the day of. Just remember if you are going by bus that the time you are quoted by the driver is a best guess that is often off by an hour or two ;)

#4 smartso has been a member since 11/4/2008. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.