Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Transport Luang Prabang to Luang Nam Tha (Namtha) - Bus VIP Minivan

• travelmike

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2008

Anyone have some extra info re: Tourist Transport Luang Prabang to Luang NamTha?

Current options
    -Green Discovery private minivan $170 Usd for two people
    -Fly LP to Vientiane then Vientiane to NamTha
    -VIP Bus Vientiane to Kunming $57 Usd (stop at Boten then two hours local transport)
    -Local bus

Local bus is cheap but over crowded with no air con (after 9 months traveling around Africa on local bus looking for other more comfortable options at reasonable cost if they are available)

other options are a little pricey to travel only 300kms

#1 Posted: 16/7/2008 - 11:53

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I don't know about African busses but I suspect the ones in Laos are much easier. Despite many of the tales I find them not much problem, especially the route you describe. Paved road the whole way.

That said, I jumped on a VIP from Udomxai to Luang Prabang so it must go the other way. I wouldn't sweat it. Just go to the bus station early and get on the first thing moving, bring some water and buy some to-go food at the station.

Kunming is a bit out of the way.

#2 Posted: 22/7/2008 - 10:54

• gijsvanpelt

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2008

hello Mike,

i just got back from laos and did the trip in the opposite direction. the trip by roas is quite a tough one, but for shure it was one of the most beautiful trips by road i have ever made in my life, really nice. i took the local bus, was about 1400000KIP in normal bus, sitting in between the locals is really nice, thoug the seats could be a bit more comfortable, the scenary beats all the discomfort.

Minibusses actually have less space when they are full compared to local busses.

enjoy ur trip!

#3 Posted: 27/7/2008 - 04:31

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Hi, Somsai and gijsvanpelt,
    This will be the 3rd visit to LP for me and I really want to hit the road between VTE and LPQ and would appreciate any advice on this sector ( VIP and Minibus etc ) and also on getting from LPQ to Luang Nam Tha . Unfortunately, I only have 5/7 days in Laos this time round .

Cheers

#4 Posted: 28/7/2008 - 00:37

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

KP, It's been a year and a half but... There are many busses all day and evena at night between Vientiane and Luang Prabang. I preffer busses to minivans as I have better luck with the skill of the driver and the longer wheelbase seems less bumpy to me. I don't notice any difference between regular and VIP except the regular stops more and often carries some cargo. Travel times not so much different. I just go to the bus station and get on the next one. Also be aware many busses are available that connect destinations further away than Luang Prabang yet still take the same route. Something is always going.

Luang Namtha I always seem to have to switch in Udomxai but there are direct busses.

My recomendation... skip the big towns and just go to Udomxai or Luang Namtha, there are direct busses out of Vietiane.

For schedules to all busses see
    http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2008/07/bussongthaew-schedulesdetails.html

#5 Posted: 29/7/2008 - 08:14

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Somsai,
    Many thanks for the infor and recommendations.Will certainly check out the leads but unfortunately need to stopover at Luang Prabang before moving on to Luang Namtha.

Thanks

#6 Posted: 29/7/2008 - 23:50

• silverwool

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2007

I went the opposite way a few weeks ago. The bus cost 90,000 kip or thereabouts from Luang Nam Tha to Luang Prabang and no problems. It was a beautiful drive with stunning scenery but the road was fairly rough in places. (Bitumen but some pot holes) Not sure if I was on a VIP or local bus but no air con as the ceiling vent was open all the time. It was not very hot so no need. The trip took about 9 hours with a lunch stop in Udomxai (no change of bus).

I suspect the return trip would be similar. Main tip is to be at the bus station in good time as buses sometimes leave early!

#7 Posted: 9/8/2008 - 20:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel info Luang Prabang -Luang Namtha-Mouang Khoua ... By jaschonaber on 17 Feb 2009 5 4397 16 Dec 2010
getting to Luang Namtha /Muang Sing/maybe Huay Xai from Luang Prabang ... By mudgeerambler on 3 Nov 2008 3 5750 3 Nov 2008
Itinerary Advice: Luang Prabang, Luang Namtha & Phongsali ... By jeanne1307 on 30 Oct 2013 2 842 3 Nov 2013
suggestions for travel from Luang Namtha to Luang Prabang ... By paradise on 7 Feb 2009 1 3440 9 Feb 2009
Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire ... By dclayw on 23 Jul 2009 7 6152 24 Jul 2009
Transport from Nong Khiaw to Luang Namtha ... By lakyw on 26 Aug 2010 2 4205 27 Dec 2011
Bus from Luang Prabang to Luang Namtha ... By JoannaCrawford on 16 Dec 2009 1 4263 16 Dec 2009
Fly to Luang Prabang or Namtha from VTE ... By W_Sobchak on 18 Oct 2010 1 1616 18 Oct 2010
Transport - Vientiane / Vang Vieng / Luang Prabang ... By ruthmoore on 18 Nov 2007 5 12865 26 Aug 2010
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9256 19 Aug 2011