Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Time it takes to travel from Vientiane to LP

• farangfellow

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2008
    Location United States

I am looking at bus from Vientiane to LP. Prefer local not VIP, Does anybody know how long it takes by local from Vientiane to Vang Vieng and then Vang Vieng to LP. Also cost if you remember. Thanks much - farangfellow

#1 Posted: 4/8/2008 - 22:58

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Somewhere between 10-12 hours from Vte to LP. Its not a pleasant trip as the road is very windy. Vte to VV is about 4 hours.

#2 Posted: 5/8/2008 - 07:24

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

farangfellow,

i admire your spirit wanting to take the local bus from VTE to LP, but 12 hours is a long time, and as Rufus says, it isn't necessarily the most comfortable trip due to the windy roads and crowded conditions. keep in mind that even on some of the so-called VIP buses, you won't necessarily have an assigned seat, meaning you could be on a plastic seat in the aisle or even standing, and you'll be sharing the cabin space with a great deal of cargo and other goods.

perhaps you'll be happier breaking up the trip by taking the local bus on the shorter, flater, VTE to VV portion of the route, and then upgrading to a more VIP-style bus for the remainder of the journey. entirely up to you of course, but that extra comfort and reduced travel time of a more expensive bus will likely be worth it for you in the long run.

despite the windy roads and crowds, i still thought the bus trip from VTE to LP (i actually travelled in the opposite direction) was a wonderful adventure. i was glad when it was over, but the outstanding scenery along the way made me very glad i did it.

happy trails. regards.

#3 Posted: 6/8/2008 - 00:31

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

A year and a half ago around 110,000 kip or about $11 US. Things have gone up with the price of gas and the dollar has slipped about 10% against the kip.

I like that bus ride. For me it feels comfy. I get on and sit back for the ride. I've never not had a seat in the dozen odd times I've taken it. I like the regular over the VIP also but I'm not prejudice, if it's moving I'll get on.

Normaly I go to the buss station before the monks wake up, and get on the next bus. Early morning takes less time because you miss the traffic in Vientiane. There's a 6 AM out of Luang Prabang I've taken a lot, the bus guys became used to me.

I like stopping to take a leak, and the local busses stop often, I walk around a little, not so cramped when I get there. The route takes what is now the second best road in the north. Not too long, not too bumpy, not too twisty. Paved.

People come on and sell you cold drinks, fruit, barbequed chicken, whatever. Everyone brings a sack or rice to where they are going, so as to arrive with the food they are going to eat for thier stay. They carry the rice in the back or between the seats. I'm ok with it. Never had a problem with a sack of rice. They just sit there quietly.

Seats are reserved with a piece of clothing or personal item, then they go buy a ticket and some food and water. When in Rome.

Best scenery is above Kasi to Luang Prabang, most people just sleep.

#4 Posted: 6/8/2008 - 08:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.