Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Travel to Laos from Nong Khai (Thai)

• khema

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2008

Hi,

Does anyone here know if I can travel to Laos / Vientiane from Nong Khai, Thailand?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 00:25

• Advertisement

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

You can - Nong Khai is at the Thai end of the the Thai-Lao Friendship bridge joining the two countries.

If you are taking the train you can either walk or do what most people do and take a tuk-tuk to the border. Negotiate hard on your tuk-tuk (it's literally a 2 min drive - I think I paid 20B) and you'll probably end up sharing it as they try to squash as many people on as possible and often won't go until it's really full!

You exit Thailand and then catch a bus over the bridge (I can't remember if there is a small charge for the bus or not) to the Lao border. You can obtain a Visa on arrival for 30 days. Once you have got your Visa, had your passport stamped and paid a small charge for a pink customs ticket you have arrived in Laos. From there you can catch a minivan or taxi to Vientiane - fixed costs for each with a ticket purchased from a seller.

I think there may be an international bus that goes from Nong Khai to Vientiane too but I've never used it.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 03:07

• khema

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2008

Hi tails101,

That's great!

Thanks alot!!

Cheers!

#3 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 18:59

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Laos wants $30 American at the border.

#4 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 01:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

If you are staying in Nong Khai, then the international bus that tails101 mentions is another option. Pick it up from the bus station in town. It is a pretty good deal, as it takes you to the bridge, waits for you to clear immigration and customs, then takes you all the way to the Morning Market in VTE. Get there early however, as some have pointed out that the bus fills up and you don't always get a seat.

Also, the fee for the visa-on-arrival is like neosho says, and they definitely prefer US dollars. But I've seen people who just couldn't come up with the US currency manage to pay in other currencies, although not at a very happy exchange rate. There is also an extra fee of a dollar or so if you arrive outside of normal business hours. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 12:01

• khema

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2008

How many days do you think I would need to explore just Vientiane only? I don't have the luxury of time... I will be at Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand, for 3-4 days (13Oct to 15 or 16 Oct) and I hope to travel to Laos before I head back to Bangkok to catch the evening flight home on the 19 Oct. I am trying to work out the timing, hopefully I could stay a night in Laos before I make my way back to Bkk.

However, if the timing is too tight for a good exploration of Vientiane, I'll probably go with PLan B to explore other province of Thailand and leave Laos to next trip. That probably sounds like a better idea yah?

#6 Posted: 17/8/2008 - 23:01

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey khema,

vientiane is pretty great and often under-rated and overlooked. i've enjoyed several stays there and each time have discovered something new and worthwhile there. there are several good temples like wat phra keow and that luang, good food, great beer lao, culture shows, at least one good museum, and fun public park spaces like the big arch. you could knock this out comfortably in three days/two nights but i think an overnight would be rushing it.

you also mentioned that you'd be in ubon ratchathani, which is a fair distance from vientiane. have you considered popping over to southern laos instead? you'd be much closer, which would mean less travel. this might better fit your existing itinerary.

if not, then a slow trip back to bangers checking out the old khmer temples along the way would be another excellent choice. cheers.

#7 Posted: 18/8/2008 - 07:59

• queanbeyan

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2008
    Location Australia

Hi Tails

Could you tell me a little more about the international bus? I have been in the bus (can of sardines) that waits just past immigration and stops at the laos side then returns. Is the bus station close to the railyway station?

khorp jai lai lai,

Doug

#8 Posted: 21/8/2008 - 18:15

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

I know I'm really on the wrong forum but...
    Me and Mrs LL will be in Nong Khai for a few days in October. We stayed at the Mutmee on our last trip. We enjoyed the Mutmee, but fancy a change. Any suggestions please.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 31/8/2008 - 21:16

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Lad,

If you don't need to be in Nong Khai proper, what about Sri Chiang Mai, an hour or so away? The views directly across the river to Vientiane are great.

#10 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 09:16

• Advertisement

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Thanks Exacto. Interesting otion, but accommodation looks a bit sparse. Any recommendation?

#11 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 23:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Yes, accommodation selection is a bit sparse. I'm pretty sure it's still only Tim Guesthouse. That's a favorite of mine because I first stayed there nearly 20 years ago now, and Sri Chiang Mai still feels more like the old backpacker Thailand than other places.

Tim isn't the Ritz, and don't know if the spartan rooms and hard beds will meet your needs or not. Best wishes.

#12 Posted: 4/9/2008 - 11:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ban Thai Tha Bo (guesthouse) - Nong Khai province ... By Jarawee on 7 Nov 2007 0 4666 7 Nov 2007
Nong Khai to Laos ... By Kevi19 on 5 May 2012 10 1795 10 May 2012
thailand [nong khai] - laos - vietnam [hanoi] ... By cmil on 24 Feb 2007 1 3059 25 Feb 2007
Mekong River Travel - Nong Khai to Chiang Khan ... By Tilapia on 26 Jan 2007 0 4375 26 Jan 2007
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3783 19 Feb 2010
Best Way f/ Chang Mai to Nong Khai ... By mespena on 31 Jan 2007 4 4183 1 Feb 2007
Getting to Nong Khai from Chiang Mai ... By mic59 on 18 Sep 2008 8 14059 6 Jul 2010
Nong Khai bars ... By LeonardCohen1 on 23 May 2013 2 1596 26 May 2013
Aranyaprathet to Nong Khai ... By Layabout on 22 Jul 2008 2 6114 23 Jul 2008
Between Nong Khai and Ayyutthaya ... By Architeuthis on 30 Sep 2009 4 3511 1 Oct 2009