Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Adapter needed?

• travellingm-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2008

I am traveling to Luang Prabang from Canada for several months. I am bringing my laptop and am wondering if I need an adapter to plug it in and charge it?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 22:10

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Probably. Not sure what the adapters are like in Canada though. From memory Laos mostly has two pin plugs but Google is your friend and travelfish has a FAQ on this very topic. ;-)

http://www.travelfish.org/faq_answer.php?qID=183

You can certainly get adapters in everywhere Thailand so probably also available in tourist areas in Laos too. You could buy one before you leave to be 100% certain though.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 22:43

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

2 pin plugs. Buy an adaptor at any mini mart. Why on earth suggest he buy one in Canada, for heaven's sake?

#3 Posted: 27/8/2008 - 22:03

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Too much wine probably Rufus! I think they sell adapters in over-priced duty free shops at international airports as well.

#4 Posted: 28/8/2008 - 01:20

• befree

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2007

Two pins
    Cost is only afew cents, can buy in small shop main street of Luang Prabang or walk to day tourist markets , turn left, walk a block or two down & on opposite side of street is shop selling electrical stuff & adapters.

#5 Posted: 28/8/2008 - 09:45

• jasonkim8486

Click here to learn more about jasonkim8486
    Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

does laos have the same sockets as thailand? just to clarify im from the US, only need to charge my ipod. heard conflicting reports, but some say i dont need any adapters/converters for thailand, is this true?

#6 Posted: 20/11/2009 - 09:00

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

just break off the ground. Takes 2 seconds, works like a charm.

#7 Posted: 20/11/2009 - 09:40

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I haven't been using an adapter with my laptop for a year now. Ran into a British guy that said the inline converter did it for you. I compared cords to make sure I was on the same page and it works. I still use an adapter for other stuff. So far have only use it this was in Thailand.

#8 Posted: 20/11/2009 - 14:21

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hi --

I'm Canadian too. For Canadian/US electronics you DO NOT need an adapter for Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam. You DO need an adapter for Singapore and Malaysia (they use British style).

#9 Posted: 20/11/2009 - 16:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.