Laos forum

Local markets / food in Luang Prabang?

• travellingt-
    wo

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Hi all -

Well, we've landed in LPB on our bicycles and after a week of hanging out in all the out of the way places, now we're wondering how to escape 'the bubble'. I know, I know.... shouldn't be here in the first place if it's not your thing but anyway. Must be a local market around here somewhere, where we can grab a simple bowl of rice soup and maybe an iced coffee in the morning? Can anyone give directions?

I also see references to a morning food market (not sure if it's very touristy or not) outside a Wat Phonesay but that's not on any map I can find.

Any other suggestions for neat local places a little outside the old city core?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 3/9/2008 - 20:05

• Advertisement

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Hi,
    Maybe you should try Phousi Market where the locals go in the morning but you will really need to act like one. Else try the riverside, especially Khem Khong Road where roadside stalls ,especially the ones at a T-junction sells pretty good hot noodles & grills and local coffee in the morning.

#2 Posted: 5/9/2008 - 02:13

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Btw, Travellingtwo, how's the weather in LPB right now ? Will be there again end Sept and hoping I will have the tail end of the wet season. You will enjoy your ride along the riverbank in the mornings if you do it before the main tourists hoard .I quite enjoyed the early coolness of the riverside sceneries and the local orange/lime stalls when people are getting ready .

#3 Posted: 5/9/2008 - 02:32

• travellingt-
    wo

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Hi! We went to Phousi Market the other day for lunch and picked up some great baguettes and things to fill them with. There are some good local food stalls there too. We've done a bit more exploring now and you're right, some of the riverside stalls are good value.

KPTham, weather here is not bad. Rain today but in general not much of it. We are up early and you're right, a great time to see the town!

#4 Posted: 5/9/2008 - 19:14

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Its good to know you find my suggestions useful, Travellingtwo . And mamy thanks for the updates on the weather. The wet season had been exceptional this year and it had me worried.

Cheers.

#5 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 23:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
If you need a local (english-speaking Lao) Tour guide in Luang Prabang ... By fsnyc on 24 Feb 2006 8 4896 9 Dec 2012
The Idiots Guide to Buying Food in Cambodian Markets ... By somtam2000 on 4 Aug 2006 0 2126 4 Aug 2006
Where to go to experience local food and sights ... By Magen on 1 Aug 2011 5 3505 23 Mar 2012
Sihanoukville - Beach Bars/Local Food ... By liskaw123 on 10 May 2013 4 1413 8 Aug 2013
Best place for beach bars&local food-KhaoLak/KoLanta/AoNang? ... By liskaw123 on 10 May 2013 13 3075 14 May 2013
Nice hotel for honeymoon with a small child at a beach with good local food ... By ambii on 10 Mar 2011 1 2103 11 Mar 2011
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9543 19 Aug 2011