Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Itinerary suggestion for 2 weeks in North Laos

• Mopop

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2008

Hi, I am going to Luang Prabang on 10th December, and back on 28th Dec. I would like to stay 5 days in LP to explore the town and the surronding areas. Where should I spend the other 13 days? I would like to see villages, and not rush around too much. I have excluded the usual LP - Vang Vieng - Vientiane route.
    I am considering instead some of these options;

-> From Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw, from there to Sam Neua and then back through Phonsavan to Luang Prabang

or

-> From Luang Prabang to Udomaxi and then to Luang Nam Tha, trekking around there, and then Route 3 to Huay Xai, from there back to Luang Prabang via Mekon, stopping at Hongsa for elephant tour.

or

-> From Luang Prabang to Hogsa (elephant tour), then Pak Beng and take Route 2 to Udomaxi, from there reach Luang Nam Tha, trekking in the area, and then bus back to Luang Prabang (maybe stopping by somewhere).

Can any of these options be done in 12/13 days? I am looking to stop by a few times to do trekking.

Or, do you have anything else to suggest?

Thank you, Maureen

#1 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 14:43

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Maureen,

All three could be covered in 12-13 days. If you were to go with option two I'd add in time for the Gibbon Experience, which you can read about here.

Personally the first trip appeals the most to me, don't forget to fit in Muang Ngoi -- it's great!

#2 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 07:02

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

1st option: there is trekking out of Nong Khiaw but don't know about the other places. Between Nong Khiaw & Sam Neua there are places like Vieng Kham & Vieng Thong that very few tourists stop by. From Sam Neua can visit Vieng Xai caves & Sam Tai, source of the best weaving i've seen from Laos, a lot of the best stuff in Vientiane galleries are made by women who relocated from villages there during the war.

Think you should still be able to arrange a trip to see working elephants around Hongsa by asking around in town, but if you're looking for some sort of 'facility' (can't recall if it was an elephant hospital or some 'visitor centre'?), have seen reports that it's no longer there.

Trekking options have started up in Udomxai, tourist info office near bridge & main market in town has detailed English info & look here too: http://www.ecotourismlaos.com/activities/trekoudomxay.htm

#3 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 23:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks: from north to south itinerary (and Angkor?) ... By Dimas on 22 Jul 2014 1 197 23 Jul 2014
12 days BKK to Laos, northern Laos Itinerary help (LP and points north) ... By jaxphoto on 17 Feb 2011 8 3347 21 Feb 2011
3 weeks in Laos: 1 for the south and 2 for the north. It is feasible ? ... By vuh on 2 May 2007 4 2421 29 Jun 2007
Two weeks in Laos from North to South, advices? ... By bar002 on 12 Feb 2010 16 2943 18 Feb 2010
North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. 5 weeks? ... By numberthree on 3 Apr 2011 3 3262 4 Apr 2011
33/m travel buddies for north thailand 27/01, laos couple weeks later ... By pjc on 24 Jan 2012 0 916 24 Jan 2012
Itinerary Check and scenic suggestion ... By Dpullman on 19 Jan 2011 2 2039 19 Jan 2011
Itinerary Thailand - Laos - North Vietnam - Help needed with Dien Bien Phu ... By Lawoat on 23 Aug 2010 7 3749 25 Aug 2010