Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

slow boat trip south

Posted by birgitdeuss on 9/9/2008 at 02:40

In October 08 we will be in Laos and would like to do a slow boattrip on the Mekong or any other river. Preferably in the South, or otherwise North. On the net we've found very posh, expensive trips or scam trips with 20+ people on one boat. There must be other ways... Help!

#1 birgitdeuss has been a member since 9/9/2008. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/9/2008 at 06:47 admin

In the south, your only option are the boats down to 4,000 islands. In the north boats run daily for the two day trip from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang and there's also options for trips from Pak Tha to Luang Nam Tha and also from Luang Prabang upriver to Nong Kiaow.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somsai on 10/9/2008 at 10:14

quite often people go even further on the Ou river that somtam mentioned in the Luang Prabang / Nong Kieow recomendation, taking a couple of days to reach Hat Sa in Phongsali province.

On the Mekong there is also a regularly scheduled large slowboat that few foreigners take from Vientiane upriver to Paklai in Sayabouli Province.

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by Wreed100 on 31/1/2014 at 02:28

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am planning to go by local boat on the Mekong River and associated river systems as far as possible. I am starting in Can Tho in Vietnam, on the delta to ChauDoc where I will cross the border into Cambodia. From Can Tho I had to charter a boat since there is not ferry service anymore, all displaced by bus routes. From ChauDoc to Phonom Penh is a regular fast ferry ride. Then upriver from there travel is prevented by a set of falls that do not have a navigable bypass. About the falls I will again get on local boats for the trip to Laos and eventually to Vietiane. Then the regular boats everybody else does farther upriver. I may have to hire boats to make,parts of the trip if ferries do not run, but we'll see, that is the adventure. Maybe I can buy a boat instead of a motorcycle! Any knowledge of the lower Mekong and rivers to Vietiane would be very much appreciated.

#4 Wreed100 has been a member since 31/1/2014. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.