Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Slow boat & Nam Ou query

Posted by lmbeer on 9/9/2008 at 11:19

The first thing I have to say is how useful and informative this forum is. It's great, thank you!

I am heading to Lao next February. I want to take the slow boat from Huay Xai to LP. However I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the Huay Xai to Pakbeng and Pakbeng to LP days is better / more scenic?

I am also wondering if I should take the slow boat from Huay Xai to only as far as Pakbeng, stay the night and then catch a bus from Pakbeng to Muang Khua (via Udomxai) for the night. From there I would catch a boat down to Muang Ngoi for a night (or two) and then to LP? Does anyone have any thoughts on that variation?

Thanks

#1 lmbeer has been a member since 4/8/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by wanderingcat on 10/9/2008 at 22:51

Go for the variation. Daily transport leaves Pak Beng, if adventurous enough can break the journey to Udomxai in Muang Houn or Muang Beng along the way (www.samlaancycling.com has some info about the area & a village called Ban Faen along that route).

>However I was wondering if anyone could tell me which >of the Huay Xai to Pakbeng and Pakbeng to LP days is >better / more scenic?

Doesn't matter at all if you're going to travel the Nam Ou by boat - nothing along the Mekong between Huay Xai & LPB can match it :P

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by deuxbecs on 27/8/2009 at 00:55

Here's the kind of adventure you can experience on the Nam Ou river : rowing down on a wooden boat! This part of Laos is amazing! I've spent 2 weeks there, and you can read a few lines (in French) about my fantastic trip from Phongsali to Luang Prabang : http://deuxbecs.uniterre.com/68552/1.+Corsaires+du+Nam+OU.html

#3 deuxbecs has been a member since 27/8/2009. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.