Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Place to Rest Up

• Karimster

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Moto accident means that my original plans for Laos are probably not a goer - not keen on trecking and staying in places of questionable hygiene while I'm scabby. Unfortunately this has necessitated a reassessment of my budget for Laos, but y'all might be able to help out by advising on:

I was keen to visit some of south Laos, going from Pakse to the Islands via Champasak. My original plan saw this as a rushed 2/3 nights using local transport. I can still to Wat Champasak as a day trip from Pakse, but is there any 'VIP' quality transport heading south to the Islands where I might want to spend a couple of nights?

I might just have to find somewhere in Laos and chill-out for a week, or at least use it as a base for dreaded day trips to surrounding sights. I assume Luang Prabang is the best spot for this?

So my Laos itinerary would be: fly into Pakse, day trip to Wat Champasak, couple of days on the islands, fly to Vientiane for a couple of days, then (fly to and) spend around a week in LP visiting.

If I feel a bit better I might be a bit more active, but I still wouldn't want to do any trecking or anything which puts my in water for any extended period, and I'm afraid I'll need to stay in really spotless accomodation. Is there anywhere else in Laos I could go for this sort of 'lazy flashpacker' style trip, or would Northern Thailand with its temples and boutique hotels be a bit more fitting.

Sorry, a bit of an essay, I'd welcome any thoughts, however tangental.

#1 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 19:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

VIP transport down to the islands -- not really. Best option would be the songthaew I'd guess.

I've heard about some better accommodation on Don Deng (the island opposite Champasak) that could suit your needs, while on the islands themselves, I'd go for one of the Sala properties.

In Luang Prabang you'll have no problems with upmarket accommodation (with corresponding price-tags), but there's also plenty of flashpacker options -- see the LP section for loads of recommendations...

#2 Posted: 1/10/2008 - 05:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.