Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos Itinerary - advice please!

• Karimster

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2008

Hello, flying into Pakse from Siem Reap tomorrow, I have 15 nights before flying from Luang Prabang to Bangkok. At the moment I'm thinking:

9 Pakse
    10 Pakse
    11 Kingfisher Ecolodge
    12 Kingfisher Ecolodge
    13 Don Khong
    14 ?
    15 ?
    16 ?
    17 ?
    18 Vientanne
    19 Vientanne
    20 Van Vieng
    21 Luang Prabang
    22 Luang Prabang
    23 Luang Prabang

Any thoughts - is that more than I need in the south? What should I do in the middle of Laos for four nights - I'd like to visit some of the lovely cave systems, is 4 days enough?

If the middle is all a bit complicated, I could fly from Pakse -> Vientanne, and then try to visit the plain of jars with my extra time.

#1 Posted: 8/10/2008 - 18:52

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Its interesting how many people, even regular posters to this site, are not familiar with the Konglor caves. They are about a 4-5 hour drive Sth of Vientiane. I would definitely visit these as well. Plain of Jars is worth seeing by the way. Forget Vang Vieng!

#2 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 09:29

• Karimster

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2008

Thanks for the tip - in that case flying from Vientiane --> LP looks like the best bet. Unless I can fly to Phonsavan?

#3 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 09:32

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You can fly to Phonsavan and also to LP from Vientiane. Both are about a 35 minute flight. I have done both.

#4 Posted: 10/10/2008 - 07:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good tip by Rufus there -- more on Konglor here

#5 Posted: 10/10/2008 - 08:16

• Karimster

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2008

Thanks for the tips, Konglor was always a probably, now it's definitely on the schedule. Another question: how long do I need to visit Konglor as a break in the journey from Pakse -> Vientiane ?

I've just been chatting to one of the Pakse travel companies, they reckon any bus to Vientiane will stop in Vien Kham (Thang Beng) if I ask it to. From where I'd have to find another bus heading east to take me to Ban Na Hin, from where, with the new road, it's easy to visit Konglor.

Should I stay in Ban Na Hin, or in one of the Sala properties nearer Konglor?

#6 Posted: 10/10/2008 - 19:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.