Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Day trip to Pak Ou Caves

• angie69

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2008

will be in Luang Prabang end Oct.
    Any advice on what is the best way to visit Pak Ou Caves?
    read that we can make our own way to Pak Ou Caves with less than 100,000 kip or better to go through tour company.
    However, found on internet, day trips organised by tour company costing about US$50.

Any way to remove the hassle of making own transport yet can do it at lower cost?

#1 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 00:25

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Angie,

My info is a bit dated now, so maybe others can chip in with the most recent costs, etc. However, the last time I was in Luang Prabang, we just booked a day trip to the Pak Ou Caves from one of the many travel agents in town. The cost was less than $5 per person, and many of the travel agencies included a booking bonus, like 30 minutes free internet or a free bottle of drinking water.

There was both a morning and an afternoon tour. We got picked up at the travel agent, driven to the boat, and then up river to the caves. I'd highly recommend this as a fun way to get to experience a short trip on the Mekong.

The time before last we hired our own boat for the trip up river. I think we paid less than $20 for the entire boat, but I don't remember exactly how much. That was nice because we were on our own timetable, and got to decide if and where we'd stop for lunch and the other touristy things on that trip.

Either way, organising the trip once you arrive in town should be cheaper than what you are finding on the internet. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 01:26

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Hi Angie,
    Exacto is right. It is cheaper to book your visit to Pak Ou when you are in LP itself. Just returned from my 3rd visit to LP and the cost is about 50,000 to 70,000 kips per pax at 8500 kips per US$. Also, you can get to PAK Ou cave cheaper by Tut Tut but then you willo miss the joy of a ride up the river Mekong. You will spent more time getting there and back then at Pak Ou itself. By the way, pl bring a torch . Oh yes, unless you pay in kips, most local will use 8000 kips to the dollar.And price of whisky is cheaper in Vientiane than in LP ( JW 1 lit is $24/28 in VTE but $ 34 in LP

Cheers

#3 Posted: 11/10/2008 - 01:53

• angie69

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2008

hi all

thanks for the info. Any recomm on accomm at LP & the cost? Hoping to get a room for US$7 & below. Not sure what's the market rate.

cheers

#4 Posted: 12/10/2008 - 00:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi angie69,

We've just run an updated story on finding a good place to stay in LP which should be a good place to start your research.

Also, don't discount our Travelfish Guide to LP -- it's the most up-to-date guidebook to the area and a bargain at US$4.95.

#5 Posted: 12/10/2008 - 06:38

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Angie69,
    Can't remember the name but stayed at a guesthouse end 2007 for $10 with attached bathroom. Place is across and before Xieng Mouang Guesthouse and next to Indian restuarant which is at the road corner. Landlady was friendly as we joined them for their BBQ supper till late into the nite.

You may want to check this palce out.

#6 Posted: 12/10/2008 - 22:39

• 33bennett

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2008

We have just returned from Luang Prabang and stayed at the Philaylack Guesthouse, which was lovely... very clean and quiet and very reasonably priced. The landlady spoke really good English which can be a real bonus.

#7 Posted: 18/10/2008 - 16:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.