Flag of Laos

Laos forum

First time to Laos

• jamespool

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2008

I'm planning my first trip to Laos at the moment, great site!

I'm going at christmas and have three weeks there. I know I want to see the gibbon place, Muang Sing and Loung Phabang and I'd like to do a boat trip as well. I don't plan to go to the south, but am looking for two other places to fit into my trip. I like smaller places, but ones that get a few travellers, but not loads. I don't want to go to Vang Veang. I like to travel slow.

If you could only go to two places in laos where would you go and why?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 14/10/2008 - 17:56

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

3 weeks and 2 places only?
    Well I would do more than 2 places. I would spend a few days in Vientiane and about 3 or so in Luang Prabang.
    I would actually go south and go to Pakse and Champasak. Msybe see the Konglor caves as well. I would also head to the Plain of Jars, but hey, that is definitely more than 2 places. certainly possible in 3 weeks though.

#2 Posted: 14/10/2008 - 18:52

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you were looking for two more places and wanted to stick to the north, Muang Ngoi and Nong Kiaow could be what you're after.

#3 Posted: 15/10/2008 - 08:00

• woylie

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2008

I agree jamespool, this site was very useful to us when we were in Laos (sob! only a couple of weeks ago..)I took my Travelfish guides to LP and Vientiane and used them often. We see LP as the highlight of our trip and it is worth time to slow down and enjoy the place and the people. I found Vientiane an interesting place to visit to observe where Laos may go in the future and to see the mighty Mekong further downstream, but it was honestly not worth much time as a destination. Unless you need to pass through, I'd miss it out. Go north.

#4 Posted: 16/10/2008 - 19:16

• jamespool

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2008

Hi thanks for the answers.

Sorry Rufus, I meant two more places as well as where I am already going. I've read about south Laos and it sounds good, but I think I'll save that for another trip next year.

If I had to choose between the Jars and the places somtam200 suggested (thanks!) which would you say is the better? You live in Laos right -got to love that local know-how!

woylie, thanks for the tip, I think I will stay north, though I don't think I'll bother with the guides (sorry Travelfish!) seems lots of good free info on the site and every penny counts..

I've also heard good things about Sainyaburi province, but there is nothing on this site about it - why is that? Not wortth seeing?

#5 Posted: 17/10/2008 - 08:26

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes, I do live here. Thats a really hard question to ansqwer, (which is better). Its a personal thing. I lived the Plaiin of jars and Phonsavahn, but one or two posters on this and other forums found them boring.
    I like History. The PoJ is right at the beginnng of the Ho Chi Mihn trail, and I found it fascinating to drive around there, see the caves where people hid out and the Jars themselves. I also found Phonsavahn an interesting town and there are a few Hmong places you can visit around there as well. Really hard to say; I'd say both are worth while.

#6 Posted: 17/10/2008 - 14:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.