Flag of Laos

Laos forum

2 weeks in Laos on my own?!

• cig

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Hi,

what a fantastic website! have been reading non-stop.

Heres my dilema...

I will have 26 days to explore Thailand and Laos in Jan, I especially would like to see much of Laos.

I start off in Phuket ( Islands/beaches etc) will take overnight train to Bangkok. Then off to Kanchanaburi - Ayutthaya, then an overnight trip to Chiang Mai.

I would then like to spend a good amount of time going through there and into Laos. And finishing up by taking the train from Vientiane to Bangkok and flying back home.

I am on a very tight budget, but having said that I've tried finding a tour to go through Laos and it is all booked up ( the budget option that is...). I'm wondering if it will be possible to do all this and go through Laos ON MY OWN? I mean, it probably IS possible, but I do not speak any other language except English and I have never been in a non-english speaking country.

How would I go about finding places to stay without leaving things to the last minute? would it be OK finding food etc... I'm just a little worried but totally looking for an adventure.

PLUS - would you have any other suggestions for my trip? 26 days, flighing into Phuket and flying out of Bangkok.

Cheers!
    Cig

#1 Posted: 20/10/2008 - 15:05

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Absolutely possible. How many days do you want to spend in Laos? Post some details and many will reply to you.
    You can get by with English and you will quickly learn a few words in Lao.

#2 Posted: 20/10/2008 - 18:34

• neogary

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2005

When i was in Laos for 2 weeks, there was no or minimal problem in communication, some hand signals and body languages might help too. Looking for accomodation and travelling through the country was to me, suprisingly easy.

You'll have no problem with food but do remember that Laotians wake early, so they sleep early, if you're someone who craves for late night snacks, better stock up some food, unless you're in Vientiane or Luang Prabang, though not till too late.

#3 Posted: 22/10/2008 - 00:30

• cig

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

NNOOOOOOOO, I just wrote a 1 page post but then got signed out in the meantime and have now lost it :((((((( dear oh dear... I had like 5 questions.... FUCK. O.k. calm down..... here we go... lets do this again...

MY trip is this:
    Arrive Phuket 2nights
    Krabi 2nights
    Surat Thani 2nights

-> Catch O/night sleeper to BAngkok (IS THERE A WAY OF BOOKING THIS WITHOUT PAYING THE 29USD POSTAGE FEE?)

-> Catch o/night sleeper to Phitsanolouk 2nights

-> Catch O/night sleeper to Chiang Mai 2 nights

Chiang Rai 2nights

-> Boat trip Huay Xai to Luang Prapang 2 nights

Plain of Jars 2nights

Vang Vieng 2nights

Vientienne 2nights

-> Catch O/night sleeper to BAngkok and catch plane home.

The above is a rough estimate. Is there any places where you think I absolutely must stay more, and less in others?

Like I had mentioned in previous post, I am on a ttight budget, but dont mind the fast pace. But Im not much of a drinker/clubber/night person.... I prefer the outdoors.. hiking/trekking... seeing local handcrafts.. that sort of thing....

Any other suggestions are most welcome...

Cheers, (and excuse the obscenities above... it is very annoying when you lose that length of typing... :( )
    Cig

#4 Posted: 23/10/2008 - 00:22

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

I know, it's a huge pain. Especially when you've just answered someones post and congratulated yourself on a job well done. At the moment the only thing to do is highlight your post and press CTRL-C before submit then at least if everything is lost you can start a new post and press Ctrl-V.
    As to languages, no language will be fine, plenty can and do bumble through but if you want a phrase book wait till you're here. They are much cheaper than home.

#5 Posted: 24/10/2008 - 16:43

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

A couple of thoughts to reassure you cig.

On the route you describe there are many others 99.99% of whom don't speak Thai or Lao. You will be fine, all tourism related people study English.

The least expensive (and in my opinion the best) places to stay don't have the where with all to pre book. You just get to a town and look for a place to stay.

Explore the Travelfish web site. There are many tours self guided tours described in detail and great reviews of places to stay and so on. You've stumbled on one of the best sources on the web. Give it a thorough look see.

#6 Posted: 24/10/2008 - 23:13

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I'm a bit concerned about your Laos tineary. Travel here is very slow. How do you intend to get from
    Luang Prabang to Plain of Jars and then to Vang Vieng?

There is a fair bit of travelling invloved there.

#7 Posted: 25/10/2008 - 06:55

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Cig,

I agree with Rufus that the logistics of getting from Luang Prabang to Plain of Jars and then to Vang Vieng will be difficult and time consuming. I did the LP to PofJ to Vientiane route a few years back, but I flew with Lao Airways. You've said you are on a tight budget, so don't know if flying is affordable for you or not.

Apart from that, it looks to me that you might be trying to do a bit too much for the time you have. I think you'd have a better time, as well as spend less money on transportation, if you could slim down your itinerary a bit. I know it is difficult to cut out places you'd like to see, but I'd either cut out P of J or Vang Vieng from the Laos portion, for example. You might consider skipping Surat Thani and Chiang Rai, for example, on the Thai portion of the trip.

More on the logistics side, the boat trip to Luang Prabang will take at least the better part of one day for the speed boat.

Also, Phitsanulok is more or less half way between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, so if you catch the overnight sleeper train to P-lok from Bangkok, you'll be getting off the train in the dead middle of the night, as well as boarding the overnight train in the dead middle of the night for the onward trip to Chiang Mai.

An alternative for those trips might be day trains or buses. You could also substitute Ayutthaya for Phitsanulok , if you were intending to visit Sukhothai when in P-lok. It's a reasonable option instead of Sukhothai for great ruins (some like it less but some like it more), and makes for a better opportunity for that onward overnight train trip to Chiang Mai. Plus, you could accomplish a meaningful visit to Ayutthaya in as little as one day, arriving in the morning and catching the overnight train that evening.

Those are just a few ideas and are intended to help. Cheers.

#8 Posted: 25/10/2008 - 10:06

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"but I'd either cut out P of J or Vang Vieng from the Laos portion, for example."
    If i were to mke a choice between these two, I'd leave out Vang Vieng . P of J is fascinating.

#9 Posted: 25/10/2008 - 11:09

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree that P of J is a far more interesting and worthwhile place than Vang Vieng, and if I had the choice, I'd cut out VV and go to P of J too.

But from a logistics point of view, VV is directly on the bus route between LP and Vientiane, so it may be easier for Cig to pass through VV rather than the much better but more out-of-the-way Plain of Jars. If Cig can afford one splurge on travel, maybe flying those legs LP-PofJ-VTE would be a good solution.

Rufus, if you were trying to travel from LP to VTE by way of VV, would you fly if you could, or do you think that the bus trip is an okay way to go. Also, do you have an idea of how long that bus trip might be? Cheers.

#10 Posted: 26/10/2008 - 08:56

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I would fly. The bus trip is about 10 hours and while the scenery is good, you can see the scenery from the plane as it does not fly that high. The bus trip is about 10 hours and to be honest 10 hours on a bus does nt appeal to me. (It would need to be a really comfortable bus, and it isn't. Also the trip is very windt. I have friends who did it recently and said never again. A couple of people lost their lunch)

#11 Posted: 26/10/2008 - 16:51

• cig

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Thanks guys for all your responses.... didn't think I'd get much and pleasantly suprised :)

somsai:
    "The least expensive (and in my opinion the best) places to stay don't have the where with all to pre book. You just get to a town and look for a place to stay."

This worries me, maybe it's just me, but I HAVE TO know where I will be sleeping the following night otherwise I won't be able to sleep and relax.... same with flights and train tickets.... I'm not too comfortable leaving things for the last minute. maybe that means that I'll just have to book everything the minute i land in phuket then I can rest easy, because it looks like I won't be able to prebook these things from Australia. But I know what you mean about flexibility...

rufus and exacto:

OK. cool... well I'll take out VV for plain of Jars... hmm I went on the lao airlines website and I could not find a ticket to go from LP -> POJ then POJ -> VTE. Is this something I'll have to do when I am there? and do you know approximately how much it will be? maybe this can be an option. I mean I would definately like to travel this way but only if it's affortable. I guess if it's under 100 USD then it can be an option...

cutting out phitsanolouk for Ayuthaya = done! I was thinking of this when planning but grew interested in sukhothai + I thought I might be able to join a group of backpackers and do a trecking trip or something like that.

And that's the other thing, All these tours have hill tribe treks, will I miss out on that because I'm going on my own? or do you think it's possible to do something like this if you found a group of people and wanted to do it.. I like the idea of getting active, but I'm wondering if I will miss out on those kinds of things because I'm not on some snazzy tour...

Cheers guys! thanks for all your help

Cig

#12 Posted: 26/10/2008 - 18:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Lots of good info in this thread -- I've made it a sticky -- hopefully will answer a few other's questions.

I'll also stretch out the timeout -- sorry for all the double typing!

#13 Posted: 26/10/2008 - 18:29

• tuna

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

My first advice would be SLOW DOWN.

Re Thailand:
    Traveling from Phuket > Krabi takes the best part of a day, you then need to find a bungalow, settle yourself... you will essentially have 2 nights and 1 day there, most of which you will spend familiarizing yourself with the area (ie getting lost). A lot of bother for such a short time.

Why are you going to Surat Thani for 2 days? Surat Thani is just a transit town, if you are going through there to visit Samui / KPN you really need to allow 1 day to get from ST > the islands & find accommodation, etc... again you would be traveling all that way for 1 day. If you are going to the National Park south of ST the same would still apply, half day to full day each way, therefore only 1 day in the forest.

My advice would be skip through Phuket immediately and decide between Krabi or Koh Lanta or another island in the region - pick ONE - then base yourself there for 6 nights. You can do day trips to Phi Phi or surrounding islands, hikes, etc from there.

Southern Thailand is very slow to get around, especially hopping between islands, you must expect that you will experience delays and not everything will go to plan. North of Bangkok you have a reliable train system and you can get to different cities in 2-3 hours and you can experience them properly in 1 or 2 days at a time and places like Bangkok or Ayutthaya you are often 'sightseeing', whereas this is not really the point of the islands, where the longer you stay somewhere the more you will get out of it.

I would suggest researching the areas you plan to visit in Southern Thailand more thoroughly and narrowing that down. When you find a beautiful beach or island you will not want to leave.

Re Laos:

I agree with Exacto that LP > VV > VTE on such a tight schedule makes more sense, flying to PoJ is a good alternative though.

You may also want to consider spending less time in VTE and more time in LP... LP is an amazing place and there are many day trips, treks, etc you can do from there, VTE is interesting but in my opinion missable (other than to travel for your train to BKK) if time is not on your side.

To arrange treks from LP is very easy and in January it is unlikely you would need a group or a companion to secure a booking, at worst you might have to consider an alternative trek to your preference. At that time of year you could book these as late as the night before or even the morning of the trek. There are several trekking operators that line the main strip, Green Discovery is the most reputable.

The mindset that you HAVE TO be certain of your plans for anywhere in Laos or SE Asia for that matter really is something that will unfortunately work against you. If you are traveling through Laos after the Xmas / NYE period you will have NO problems finding accommodation. You will not be able to book anything for Laos in Phuket. If you do book anything for Thailand in Phuket it is likely you will not get what you thought you had paid for. The more flexible you can be with your plans the less it will bother you when they change - and they will change, whether you have booked them or not!

Happy travels.

#14 Posted: 28/10/2008 - 11:47

• doharez

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2008

I'm arranging flights from Bangkok to Luang Prabang ($187 on Bangkok Air), LP to Vientiane ($79 on Lao Air), and Vientiane to Bangkok ($173 on Lao & $274 on Thai)for early December. Cheaper prices were listed somewhere on travel fish. Has anyone booked recently who got cheaper rates?

#15 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 13:43

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#12: if am not wrong, there are no flights between LPB & Phonsavanh (Xieng Khouang), only between VTE & Phonsavanh. but there are buses between LPB & Phonsavanah.

#16 Posted: 30/10/2008 - 11:26

• cig

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Coool :) Flexible it is... well I'll try my best

tuna: I just thought I might stay in phuket for a night or two since after a long flight it might be a good idea to get a bit active before going on another long trip.. O.k. here's my newly adjusted plans...

Arrivie Phuket 7.30pm

Spend 6 nights hopping, skipping, and jumping between phuket, Ko phi phi and Ko Lanta and then coaching it to Trang.

Catch over night sleeper train from Trang to Bangkok.

Spend a day in Ayuthaya, then an overnight trip to Chian Mai.

Spend 6 nights around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai (whatever tickles my fancy)

Then get on a boat from Huay Xai to L.P. (allowing 3 days just in case)

Spend 5 nights in LP then bus to POJ

5 nights in POJ, then FLY to Vientienne, spending 2 nights there.

Then catch the o/night sleeper to Bangkok.

HOWZAT?

(I'm kind of interested in the Gibbon experience, but I don't know if I'll have time :( oh well)

I'm so excited I can hardly wait!

Cig

#17 Posted: 2/11/2008 - 06:16

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Cig, 5 days in the Plain of Jars is much too much. You will be bored stupid. 2 nights including one full day is enough. This will be enough time to go to 3 sites and old Xien Khouang. A morning in the Phonsavahn market and thats it.

#18 Posted: 2/11/2008 - 16:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Cig,

I spent three days and two nights in Xieng Khoang/ Phonsavan /PofJ a few years back, and even that was more time than I really needed. The two nights with one full day that Rufus recommends would have been exactly the right amount of time.

There's a Travelfish feature article on the trip I made to Phonsavan if you are interested. It's at http://www.travelfish.org/feature/55.

Also, when I made that trip I did fly the LP to PofJ route on Lao Airlines. It was on a wing-and-a-prayer Y-12 turboprop and was pretty exciting. But as wanderingcat pointed out, Lao Airlines does not seem to be flying that route anymore. Sorry for the bad info. Cheers.

#19 Posted: 3/11/2008 - 02:09

• rossville69

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

cig your new plan sounds a lot better. I would try not to be too worried about knowing exactly where you are going to stay in advance - in all of the places you mention there are sure to be many options, and as a last resort there is always the credit card and an upmarket hotel.

Perhaps you could go to PofJ via Muang Noi (good for trekking I think)? I'm not sure if this is feasible. The Ban Na elephants near Vientiane look interesting too.

Honestly, I just went there for 11 days and if I had the choice between Thailand and Laos I would spend all my time in Laos. But every country has its good points :)

#20 Posted: 19/11/2008 - 11:19

• Flymarbles

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

Thank you Cig, Rufus, exacto and others. I must say this thread has been incredibly enlightening. I have a question, and was wondering if I could get some help. I will be in SE Asia for two weeks. One in Vietnam, and the other in Laos. I will be arriving in Hoi Chi Min and then heading north to Hanoi. From Hanoi, I will fly to Laos. Do you think it is better to fly into Luang Prabang and then head down to Vientiane and then back to HCM. Or is better to fly to Vientiane head north to LP and then fly back to HCM? Also, if I am only spending one week in Laos, how should I split up my time between LP and Vientiane ? Should I just go to LP and skip Vientiane all together? Lastly, what is the best way to travel from LP to Vientiane i.e. is flying better than taking a bus? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#21 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 10:48

• rossville69

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

Hi Flymarbles,

A bus from LP to Vientiane takes about 10 hours and costs 160,000 (that is the VIP option - comfortable seats, food supplied). If you are in a hurry, and the money is not a problem, clearly the plane will save you a lot of time.

If I had to choose between LP and Vientiane , I would choose LP. Vientiane was OK for me, but not unmissable.

One week is enough to see both of them, but I get the feeling that there is more to do around LP (e.g. a short trip to Muang Noi or a short trek or something).

It may be that in order to fly to HCM you have to go via Vientiane anyway?

There are some posts on my blog which may be useful: www.julianhopkins.net

#22 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 14:09

• Flymarbles

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

Thank you, Rossville69. I couldn't acess your blog, might have been a problem on my end. Nevertheless, do you think spending a week in LP is to long? What is the maximum number of days you think one should stay. Also,do you know how I can find out if there are flights out of LP to HCM. Thanks again, your response was very helpful!

#23 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 09:41

• rossville69

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

Other people will know better than me, but I'd say that in 2-3 days the main bits of LP can be seen. However, there are other things to do there - such as a trek or whatever.

Dunno about flights, but you can try looking at http://www.laoairlines.com/

#24 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 12:59

• pillz

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009

Hi all!

Like cig I have 2 weeks to spend in Laos ... wouldl ike to get some feedback which are the places are your must gos? I have only planned the start of my itinerary which goes like this>>

Fly to Bangkok->Bus to Chiang Khong->Huay Xai->Gibbon Experience->...

I was thinking of heading to Mengla (China) from Muang Sing then head down to Phongsali , but it seems that there is no border crossing near Phongsali ...

Other places I would definitely like to visit:
    Udomxai
    Luang Prabang
    Phonsavan
    Vang Vieng
    Vietiane

Do you think this is too much to handle in 2 weeks? Thanks!

#25 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 22:15

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#25:
    feedback which are the places are your must gos?

what are your interests? (e.g. i could tell you a whole bunch of must gos for temple architecture :P)

check with GibbonX whether they require you to show up the day before departure + how early do they depart from Huay Xai - might add one night in Huay Xai to your itinerary.

to cover all those places in 2 weeks = a lot of time spent on travelling between places.

Muang Sing > Luang Namtha > Udomxai = total 6+h provided you can get space (not necessarily a seat) on the 'connecting' bus, & excl transfer time, breakdown time & other delays.

Udomxai > Phongsaly bus = at least 9h (what season are you travelling in?)

Phongsaly to Luang Prabang = at least 14h by bus; 2-3 days by boat (via Hat Sa, Muang Khua +/- Nong Khiaw).

Luang Prabang > Phonsavan = 1 day

how long do you intend to spend in each place?

in 2 weeks i covered:
    Huay Xai (just breezed through)
    Luang Namtha - 1 night
    Muang Sing - 1
    Udomxai - 1
    Phongsaly - 2
    Muang Khua - 1
    Pak Mong - 1
    Nong Khiaw - 1
    LPB - 4
    Pak Beng - 1
    Huay Xai - 1

& it was a pretty rushed trip...

#26 Posted: 26/9/2009 - 06:50

• pillz

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009

lol not so much architecture ... interests more on the way of life - say do you think there are any coffee plantations or some farms I can visit in phongsali? I would be interested if there is such stuff ...

else I can probably do something close to the track you have just mentioned and stay a couple days at Vang Vieng/Phongsali. Would like to visit plain of Jars though.

But from your post seems like there can be a lot of time saved by not visiting phongsali ... thus would like to ask - is it worth visiting? Given that i'll be around there early Dec not when all the stuff is in bloom and much prettier.

I've pretty got much of the Gibbon X settled - my flight in, etc etc. Pola was VERY helpful.

Thanks for the help!

#27 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 14:01

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

a new site on what to do in Phongsaly:
    http://phongsali.net/

it isn't a coffee growing area (Bolaven plateau in the south is), but known for tea:
    http://mattchasblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/tea-in-laos-part-one-phongsali-tea-vs.html
    http://mattchasblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/tea-in-laos-part-two-legend-of-laos-400.html

Phongsaly to Luang Prabang = at least 14h by bus; 2-3 days by boat (via Hat Sa, Muang Khua +/- Nong Khiaw).
    for a few of us, this series of boat journeys is reason enough to go all the way up north to Phongsaly town.

for an idea of what Phongsaly province is like here & here.

with limited time, could do cover a shorter route through the southern bit of Phongsaly province - ~3h bus from Udomxai to Muang Khua, then boat down the supposedly most scenic section of that river (Nam Ou) to Nong Khiaw (could chose to stop over at Muang Ngoi Neua ~1h upriver of Nong Khiaw too). from Nong Khiaw it's a day's boat or 4+h by road to Luang Prabang.

for 'the way of life'...can see it anywhere in Laos, as long as you care to observe :)

you mentioned on another thread about being in Laos during early Dec - if Hmong New Year falls during that time, you'll start seeing celebrations along your way esp south of Udomxai to Luang Prabang...when there, ask around if anyone knows the dates for the (supposedly largest scale) celebrations in Phonsavan - i'd try to make a trip there if timing is right, even wealthier overseas Hmong from USA will travel there for the occasion. another major venue is Lak 52 (KM52) near Vientiane .

btw you'll be arriving in Vientiane right smack during the 25th Southeast Asian Games so accomm might be tight (likewise for Phonsavan during Hmong New Year).

might be in Laos the same time as you but starting from Vientiane & heading north :)

#28 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 09:20

• andyweak

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2009

There is some great info on this site.

I'm Heading to Laos most likely around November 20. Coming from Taiwan and looking to spend most of my time in Laos and a bit in Thailand. If anyone out there is heading there around the same time I wouldn't mind meeting a travel partner to do some of the trip with.

thanks

#29 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 22:18

• andyweak

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2009

There is some great info on this site.

I'm Heading to Laos most likely around November 20. Coming from Taiwan and looking to spend most of my time in Laos and a bit in Thailand. If anyone out there is heading there around the same time I wouldn't mind meeting a travel partner to do some of the trip with.

thanks

#30 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 22:18

• chuchups

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2007

I will be in Thailand on the 22nd of Nov and heading to Laos after spending a few days in Bangkok.

#31 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 16:45

• lilysnm

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2009

We will be travelling for 2 weeks in Laos, arrivng by train to Ubon Ratchatrani-> Pakse. Can someone please help us with an itinerary, we will be flying off from Vientiane.

#32 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 22:28

• erinleeann

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2010

I will be in Laos in November as well. I'm arriving in Bangkok on October 26 (4 more days!!!) Then heading to Northern Thailand then into Laos. I have no definite plans. Planning on spending a couple months in Cambodia and Vietnam as well before heading back to Thailand. Always looking for travel buddies!

#33 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 01:41

• erinleeann

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2010

I will be in Laos in November as well. I'm arriving in Bangkok on October 26 (4 more days!!!) Then heading to Northern Thailand then into Laos. I have no definite plans. Planning on spending a couple months in Cambodia and Vietnam as well before heading back to Thailand. Always looking for travel buddies!

#34 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 01:42

• mysticpaki

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2006

Travelling on your own is no problem at all.
    Since you arrive in Phuket i suggest you enjoy Phuket which has loads to offer if you avoid the sleazy Patong Beach.
    Nathon beach near the airport is clean quiet and lovely and has loads of accomodation.Hire a scooter and check out Bangtao beach and Sirinapat Beach area very nice.Dont miss the excellent seafood restaurants catering to thais near the zoo and very reasonably priced.
    Phuket town is interesting.
    (Only If you need more sun and sand) go to Krabi .Stay in town or at Ao Nang beach.Definately go and see the emerald pond and the hot springs also some waterfalls.)
    AThe reason i said go to Krabi only if you need more sun and sand is because via Air Asia you can fly direct from Phuket to Changmai and from Phuket to Udon Thani and viceversa, this way youre close to crossing the border into Laos.Spend a night or 2 in Changmai or Udon Thani before heading into Laos.
    Its better to see fewer places more throughly instead just breezing in and out.
    When do you plan on going? I plan on going end of Jan to Laos via Changrai.
    Cheers
    Eddie

#35 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 18:13

• squire82

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2010

Hello, this is an excellent post!
    I’m flying into Bangkok on Jan 29th and depart from there on the 20th of Feb. Originally I was meant to be doing a GAP adventures tour, but they’ve moved the date so I was faced with the choice of either changing flights at £300+ or cutting short the tour, neither of which I’m keen to do. As a result, I’ve decided to go solo for my three weeks!

I’m planning on heading into Laos for say 7/10 before returning to Northern Thailand 5 days before finishing off on a beach in the south to unwind.

I've looked through the itineraries and they've given me ideas, but I'd be interested to hear people’s take on the "must see/do" or if they think any one itinerary is especially good.

Thanks

#36 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 19:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.