Laos forum

Hanoi to Vientiane by bus

• choirboy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

I realize there has been a bit written about this, but haven't found anything recently and things can change quickly here in Asia so I thought i would ask.

Has anyone taken one of the direct buses from Hanoi to Vientiane recently? I've read some nightmare reports, but am surprised that there isn't at least one legit operation running now. Does anyone know of any companies doing a reasonable service now?

If the direct bus is simply guaranteed to be a disaster does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively easy, pain free route? I've been traveling for about two and half years now nonstop, and am not bothered too much by tough/irritating travel, but now my girlfriend has come out to travel with me, and she is quite a bit more prone to annoyance and frustration so finding a way with the least hassle would be preferred.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

#1 Posted: 21/10/2008 - 14:20

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It is still a pretty rough and ready trip. Suggest you take a look at the Visa and border crossing FAQ -- yes the reports are dated, but as far as I know, the trip hasn't improved much!

Personally, I think the best way to do it, is to break it up into smaller legs and take more time doing it. That way you'll see more of the country and avoid some of the hordes -- and have a bit more comfort. Otherwise, if time is short, fly.

#2 Posted: 22/10/2008 - 10:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.