Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Phonsali in Jan/Feb 2009

• beagle316

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2008

Hi,

I will be spending most of January and February in remote villages in Northern Laos. I expect to be in the districts of Khua and Samphan and staying most of the time with local people in their homes.

I was wondering whether anyone can recommend what sleeping bag (in terms of temperature rating) I should bring with me.

I understand that most of the time the rating provided on the bag is the absolute minimum and most people would not want to be in the bag at that temperature but if anyone could help that would be great!!!

Cheers

#1 Posted: 24/10/2008 - 16:42

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Hi Beagle316,

I answered somewhat on that other forum with some questions of my own, but in case you get here first.

I'd go with two or three inches of synthetic loft, say rated to freezing. On the top of the hills things very rarely freeze and down in the valleys low temps are usually quite a bit above that. You should expect quite a bit of morning fog in the valleys and short amounts of time for drying the bag.

I think sleeping bag ratings are based on some sort of universal norm, not the absolute lowest temp for a sled dog. I'm usually comfy at the lowest temps. A good measure would be are you usually warm when others are cold, or the opposite.

Sok Dee!

#2 Posted: 24/10/2008 - 23:20

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

How are you staying with the locals? Are you going to arrange this with a travel agency/tour group or are you just going to approach locals in the towns?

#3 Posted: 25/10/2008 - 11:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.