Flag of Laos

Laos forum

buy a bicycle in Vientiane

• cellojoern

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2008

Hy,
    we wonder, if there is a possibility to buy a bicycle in Vientiane.
    We plan a 6-week tour to Laos and Cambodia and want to start from Vientiane to Luang Prabang by bicycle.
    What about costs and quality of the bikes?
    Thanks for answers,
    Jörn

#1 Posted: 18/11/2008 - 00:11

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It is possible to buy bikes in Vientiane, in fact there is a shop close to where I work that sells them. The range ifrom kids bikes through to mountain bikes. They are Chinese made, so I couldn't vouch for the quality, but I suspect it would be reasonably poor. I don't know about the cost. I really haven't seen any other places with bikes for sale.
    To be honest I would suggest you get your bikes in Udon or Nongkhai. If you are doing a 6 week trip you want something decent.

#2 Posted: 18/11/2008 - 11:02

• cellojoern

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2008

Thanks for the answer!
    two more questions:
    - where is the place you work / the place of the shop?
    - if it's close to your working place, it would be great, if you could pass by the shop some time to look for average prices.('hope you won't find me impudent.Just if you pass by anyway)
    We need a normal bicycle, the ones wich are used by laos people. Maybe some gears.
    We don't want to show of with an expensive western bike there. (besides of the costs for bringing own bikes from germany, which is 150 € per bike per flight(Luftansa))
    If this is the only shop in Vientiane (where do the laos people get their bikes?), and we could not find something: is it possible to cross the border to Nong Khai and back without extra Visum?
    Thans a lot,
    Jörn

#3 Posted: 18/11/2008 - 16:18

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

lol I can probably have a look in the next few days, if you can be patient. I work at the Internatonal School. No, you can't cross the border and come back; you would need another visa.
    Die meisten Lao kaufen ihre Fahrraeder in Thailand oder kaufen chinesisches Glump.

#4 Posted: 18/11/2008 - 18:00

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Prices range from $90 for a kid's bike to about $150 for one with gears.

#5 Posted: 20/11/2008 - 11:49

• cellojoern

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2008

Dear Rufus,

thanks a lot for the price-recherche!!
    Maybe we could invite you for a beer ore something..
    We are in Vientiane from 18. to 20. January.(and will have a look for the bikes)

One last question: where is the bicycle shop in Vientiane ?

Grüße aus dem Novemberwetterigen Berlin,
    Jörn

#6 Posted: 20/11/2008 - 19:19

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

No problem. I should have given you the address before. Believe it or not its actually a shop that sells paint - indoor and outdoor. It is halfway between Vientiane College and the Vientiane International School. I don't know the street name off the top of my head, but I will look it up for you this afternoon.
    Another thought I just had....There are frequently second hand bikes available for sale from expats going home etc. If you like I can keep my eyess open and email you the phone numbers, emails etc of any that I happen to see advertised. How many are you after? Bets if you send me an email to the following: inset the appropriate and correct symbols and remove all the spaces. (I do this to avoid spam bots).

ron lel at em es en dot com
    where em es en = msn

Alles Gute und Gruesse aus Vientiane . Tschuess. Ron

#7 Posted: 21/11/2008 - 07:57

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Uebrigens, ich habe laengere Zeit in Berlin unterrichtet - in der Sophie Scholl Schule in Schoeneberg.

#8 Posted: 21/11/2008 - 07:58

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

The shop is the large Urai paint shop on Rue Nongbone. It is on the corner of the side street which leads to the Toyota dealership.
    They sell bikes and paint. Funny combination.

#9 Posted: 21/11/2008 - 15:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Buying a bicycle in Vientiane ... By laos2010 on 4 Oct 2010 14 3675 13 Oct 2010